Shipping by Item Catagory

Guest Rastergraph

Guest Rastergraph

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to have a shipping method applied to some items and not others. I have some items that I I want to apply a certain method of shipping to and others that I do not want to offer this method of shipping on.

I was hoping to set up a what would be great  is if a shipping method can be applied to all items in a particular category.

The version of CubeCart being used is 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome Rastergraph! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

There is a shipping Per Category module. Once enabled, options will present themselves on the Add/Edit Category screens to assign this method of shipping to this category.

Every product can be assigned to more than one adjunct category, but only one category can be the main category. I do not know if the Per Category shipping method respects only the main category, or can determine the cheapest from among all the categories a product is assigned to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rastergraph

Welcome Rastergraph! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

There is a shipping Per Category module. Once enabled, options will present themselves on the Add/Edit Category screens to assign this method of shipping to this category.

Every product can be assigned to more than one adjunct category, but only one category can be the main category. I do not know if the Per Category shipping method respects only the main category, or can determine the cheapest from among all the categories a product is assigned to.

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to find this "Per Category" module you speak of. Could you give me some information on where I may find this and enable it?

• 1 year later...

I was going to ask the same question when I found this post and I found the option.

I edited my categories and changed my prices per category both domestic and international.

I mocked up several orders of products from several different categories because I wanted to see what happened to each order with mixed "free shipping" and cost for shipping items.

However every single transaction had free shipping - $0.00

I set the values in each and every category I wanted shipping costs in yet no matter what items I put in the cart it was $0.00 for shipping.

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. Why do my categories I set to have a value NOT have a value when ordering from those categories.

I had to set my site back to flat rate - but I need international shipping values adjusted. And I need free shipping on several categories.

Please give us an example, such as:

Prod-A => Cat-X

Prod-B => Cat-Y

Prod-C => Cat-Z

Prod-D => Cat-W

Cat-W => 0.00 all

Cat-X => 1.33 per item

Cat-Y => 2.50 per item

Cat-Z => 0.75 per shipment

Order: 1xProd-A, 2xProd-B, 3xProd-C + 4xProd-D

Should equal 1.33 + 2*2.50 + 0.75 + 4*0 = 7.08

But you get only 0.00?

Let me know if this helps:

A   Animated & Cartoon DVD's                                                    Category AND subcategories were assigned Shipping Cost 

B   DVD Movies & Chapter Serials                                              Category AND subcategories were assigned Shipping Cost 

C   TV Shows on DVD                                                                    Category AND subcategories were assigned Shipping Cost 

D   Latest DVD Additions                                                               Category AND subcategories were assigned Shipping Cost 

E   Celebrity Autographs                                                                     Category was assigned Shipping Cost 

F   11 X 17 Posters                                                                               Category was assigned Shipping Cost 

G   TV/Movie Related Accessories                                              Category AND subcategories were assigned FREE shipping

H   Cartoon, Comic, Game, Movie, & TV Patches                   Category AND subcategories were assigned FREE shipping

NOTE: EACH Category and subcategory was individually assigned a Domestic Shipping value and a International shipping value PER ORDER.

I attempted to place an order with Item from Category/Subcategory H alone (free shipping) - Order confirmation page said "free shipping".

I attempted a order with a item from Category/Subcategory A + H (note: A should have shipping cost) - Order confirmation page said "free shipping".

I then placed a order from Category/Subcategory A alone (should have shipping cost) - Order confirmation page said "free shipping"

This was repeated approximately 6 - 7 times with multiple items such as:

H+A+D = "free shipping"

H+G+B = "free shipping"

B+C = "free shipping"

ALL orders attempted show "free shipping" even though the categories and subcategories ALL had set values for domestic and international shipping.

I do have one question - The "Help | Storefront Status Open Dashboard » Modules » Shipping » Per Category"

It shows "Allowed Zones" and "Disabled Zones"

Do these HAVE to be set for this method to work?

The Allowed and Disallowed Zones (most probably) do not need to be filled in.

"Category AND subcategories were assigned FREE shipping"

This is confusing: when editing a category, on the Shipping tab (shown when Per Cat module enabled) there are four fields. Of the four fields, only decimal numbers (0-9 and up to one period) should be entered here. Where is "Free Shipping" coming from?

"Category AND subcategories were assigned FREE shipping"

This is confusing: when editing a category, on the Shipping tab (shown when Per Cat module enabled) there are four fields. Of the four fields, only decimal numbers (0-9 and up to one period) should be entered here. Where is "Free Shipping" coming from?

I see how that sounds confusing - what I mean is I set those values in the PER SHIPMENT sections for every category in the sections I wanted to have a shipping costs. I then left the other ones blank or 0.00.

But even tho I set the values - when I tested the orders the shipping at the final "Confrim your Order" page was always "$0.00 - Free Shiping" regardless of products categories.

So I dont know what else to adjust or even test at this point.

I am going to say (until I find otherwise), 0.00 is not equivalent to an empty field. So, when you say were assigned FREE shipping, I will conclude you meant to say you set those categories to 0.00.

Also, as best I recall, CC5 does not say "Free Shipping" if the shipping cost coincidentally comes to $0.00. Which other shipping modules do you have enabled?

Also, I'm sure you mentioned it in the past, but until we see it in your SIG, always mention which specific version of CC5 you are running.

"I am going to say (until I find otherwise), 0.00 is not equivalent to an empty field. So, when you say were assigned FREE shipping, I will conclude you meant to say you set those categories to 0.00." 

CORRECT!!

"Also, as best I recall, CC5 does not say "Free Shipping" if the shipping cost coincidentally comes to $0.00. Which other shipping modules do you have enabled?"

I only had "Per Category" set up at the time of the test purchases - no other shipping method was used.

"Also, I'm sure you mentioned it in the past, but until we see it in your SIG, always mention which specific version of CC5 you are running."

I am running 5.2.14

The only thing I am referring to when I say it said "Free Shipping" is the actual price at which the shipping is when the purchasing process is near complete. In other words by the final "Confirm your Order" page on my site I presumed by setting up shipping costs per category that I would see the value I set. However every test order showed $0.00 for shipping - in other words "Free Shipping"