Cubecart 5.2.2

fairview

I have been unable to find any details about what bugs this new version fixes..  I don't really want to install it over my semi-working version of 5.2.1 without understanding what has changed.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks, Sue

I have tried to upgrade using the upgrade option in the admin page and all I get is a message that the upgrade has failed I should attempt a manual upgrade. I'm worried about doing this without knowing whether all my changes are going to be preserved. Why is the automatic upgrade not working anyway

The automatic upgrade did not work for me, either, although it just stalled for me, with no error message.

Each time you upgrade you have to put any modifications back in place. The one exception to that is IF you have created a skin with a name different from a stock skin. In that case your skin survives, but you still need to be sure there are not changes made in the new CC version that need to be incorporated into your version of a stock skin. I would suggest you try the Beyond Compare 3 software trialware so you can see what the differences in the old and new version are. (The File Difference Reports I share here are created with that software.)

The maintenance, upgrade process does not set the PHP limits to accommodate slow connections. I tried to do the upgrade process on a somewhat slow wi-fi connection and my diagnostics reported that:

PHP Notice:  cURL Error (28): Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 980080 out of 7419513 bytes received in classesrequest.class.php on line 250
PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in adminsourcesmaintenance.index.inc.php on line 126

Watching all traffic through the wi-fi network card, there was 84 seconds of traffic with about 1MB of file transferred.

During that 84 seconds, the web browser was spinning its "I'm waiting for the web page to arrive" throbber (yes, that's what it is called). Then nothing.

Of course, this does not generally happen when you have a commercial server fetching the CubeCart zip file at fast server-to-server commercial internet speeds.

Still, I think some ini_set() statements to bump up the PHP memory and timeout settings is necessary. This is already done in the setup index.php file:

@ini_set('memory_limit','512M');
@set_time_limit('600');

(For this experiment, this particular installation of PHP is set to 128M and 30 seconds.)