cant delete page

generaldogsbody

I had a document page which I created in cubecart5.  It created an seo url based on the title.  I deleted the page because somehow I had linked it to the home page so I was getting duplicate content.  But I can still see the page in my browser, it even updates when I update the home page.  I have cleared cache, cleared browser cache.  It does not show in the sitemap.xml.  How can I get rid of it please.  I cant see it in the database.

version 5.2.1 .  I think when I first set it up on the general tab I entered the url as index.php but I am not sure.  It was a bit confusing because the software enters an seo url on the third tab which is based on the title.  when I discovered the page I deleted the document and didn't really look at the url on the general tab.  In any event it is a duplicate of the home page, so I am assuming it has some link to the home page.  Thanks.

The URL field (IMO and if it works) allows for an external HTML document serve as the document you are creating. That is, a Privacy Policy page that you have already created for your main (non-CubeCart) site, it's URL can be entered here. Thus, the link for Cubecart's Privacy Policy document that will show in the Site Documents list will point to that external page.

I do not know what, exactly, entering "index.php" into this field would do as I haven't experimented with doing something like that. Probably, since it is just "index.php", when the browser user clicks on that link, the index.php page of CubeCart will come up -- the main front page.

But you say you deleted this document. On the Site Documents list, is there still a document chosen as the Homepage?

is there still a document chosen as the Homepage?

No there are no documents.  For my home page, I just edit content.homepage.php with the content I want on the homepage.  but each time I edit this homepage content it changes this other page. 

I had opened a ticket with the host company to check any cache and this is their reply which I am hoping you will understand, because I don't. 

"During investigation, I have found the references of main page contents under following file :

/home/thehono/public_html/cache/skin/051f06e6373ced38e7360f759b465d7913448555.file.content.homepage.php.php , so please check the same and consult the cubecart admins to take a look

at the caching, as we have tried to stop it but it again starts creating the above file on every access, so I guess Cubecart admins might shed light on the issue."

CubeCart uses a "template"-based system. That is, all the files in the skins/templates/ folder are templates that are populated with data taken from the database. The system that puts the data into the templates is called Smarty.

It takes a bit of time for Smarty to decide if some data should be included or not, and to fully render repeating regions like Latest Products, and lists of items. So, to keep that time to a minimum, Smarty keeps copies of the static portions of template pages in its cache (/cache/skins/ folder).

When manually editing a template file (as you describe you are doing), Smarty is ignorant of these changes and will continue to use the rendered version in its cache.

Choose any one of the following options:

* admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, Enable Caching to Disabled

* admin, Maintenence, Rebuild tab, Clear cache is checked

* admin, Documents (Site Documents), assign a document created here as the Homepage document

The first option is best if you plan to make numerous changes to numerous template files - perhaps even designing a skin of your own. The second option is best if you need to make a small tweak or bug fix to one or just a few files - this tells Smarty to dump its cache of templates and start caching newly rendered templates. The third option is the correct method to create an actual Homepage document - it will always be the latest edited version having edited the document(s) in the document editor - and return content.homepage.php back to its stock coding.

Thanks.  I did option 1 first but page was still viewable.  So I did option 2 just to clear the cache.  Page is still live.  I have customised the home page so I didn't really want to revert it back to its stock coding, but if you think this is the only way then I will do it.  Please confirm.  Just one additional question, when I set up my homepage in Documents I have the option to give it an url.  What url do I give it because it also then gives me an seo url based on the title which immediately causes duplicate content, which I suspect is what happened in the first place.  Am I doing something wrong.

One other thing, is there a way of manually clearing the cache?

You say the page is still viewable? What is the URL of this page?

You say you have customized the home page? Is this the file content.homepage.php in the templates folder?

When you create documents, in your case, leave the URL field empty.

In the folder /cache/ and /cache/skins/, remove all the files except the .htaccess files.

You can clear the cache files manually via FTP or the cpanel File Manager. I assume you've checked the _documents table in phpMyAdmin to be sure there are no documents listed there??? How about the _seo_urls table? Since you've edited content.homepage.php, try renaming that file and uploading the stock file - just in case some weird code in your version is causing this (highly unlikely, but you never know).

Please create your signature, being sure to include your site url and skin. Do you have any mods installed?

You say the page is still viewable? What is the URL of this page?

http://www.thehonourablecompany.com/authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry

You say you have customized the home page? Is this the file content.homepage.php in the templates folder?

Yes

In the folder /cache/ and /cache/skins/, remove all the files except the .htaccess files

I did this, logged out of ftp and logged back in again and most of them had returned.  I opened the page in question in my browser and then it re-appeared in the cache again.

I assume you've checked the _documents table in phpMyAdmin to be sure there are no documents listed there???

Yes, I had checked that and it is empty.

How about the _seo_urls table?

Its not in there.

I have completed my signature and I am just going to upload stock homepage file.  Will let you know what happens. Thank you.

Okay I uploaded stock homepage, cleared cache using ftp, cleared cache in Admin but file still exists.  Although I dont have any mods, I had previously in addition to changing the homepage, moved the latest products to the left column and moved the left column menu to the right hand column.  I don't think this will cause these problems will it?  I guess you are going to say restore the site to its original state and try again? or not.

No, do not restore the site to its stock code.

The link you gave above for /authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry is exactly the same as /index.php. Plus, the long URL does not have .html as its suffix, which is necessary for the SEO-style URLs to work.

If I use this URL:

http://www.thehonourablecompany.com/authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry/index.php

I get a valid page.

That means the URL being dealt with -- appearing for no apparent reason -- is a static page located in a folder named /authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry/ and having in that folder a file named index.php.

So, what about

http://www.thehonourablecompany.com/index.php

because, as I said, it looks exactly like the page above. So, once again, look at the list of documents in admin, find the one chosen as the Homepage, bring it up for editing, and make sure it says what you want it to say. (Hint: if there is a scroll slider, slide the editing window contents all the way to the bottom.)

What does your .htaccess file say?

You may also want to ask your hosting provider that, with this URL:

http://www.thehonourablecompany.com/authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry/index.php

you get a page (and not a 404 File Not Found). Ask them where it is coming from.

Did you look at all the folders via FTP and/or cpanel File Manager?

Thanks Dirty Butter, yes I checked those.

Bsmither I have discovered something else.  I can put anything I want after the domain name and it produces a duplicate of the home page.  Eg I put margarine, spaceman, even just random letters and never got a 404 error.  It seems like cubecart is producing these pages on the fly. 

So either there is a problem with the host company which I don't think because I get 404 errors with my other sites. 

Or it is because I modified cubecart (possible or not?)

Or its the .htaccess file as you suggest.

Or it is an issue with cubecart 5 (unlikely).

I am going to raise a ticket with host support.  Also I will check .htaccess.

Okay sorted.  host company say this   "We have found that the wordpress default redirection code was added in ".htaccess" at /home/thehono/public_html and because of this, it was redirection all request after website to that page.

We have commented the code. Please check, the link "http://thehonourablecompany.com/authentic-ancient-jewelry-and-antique-jewelry" is now showing "404 page not found" error."

Phew.  Thanks for your help all.

Another thing I noticed though was my sitemap is still showing pages with  the old  cat_9.html or whatever number.  I thought the seo_urls redirect in the .htaccess file were supposed to redirect these to the new search engine friendly urls. Could you tell me please if it is correct to have these in the sitemap, as again I would have thought this was duplicate content.

This is the code in the .htaccess file produced by cubecart.  I am no expert on htaccess but it seems to me that this is saying to redirect cat_  to the seo friendly url, but is there an error in this as it does not seem to be doing so.

######## START v4 SEO URL BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY ########
  RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)$
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteRule cat_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?(.*)$ index.php?_a=category&cat_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule prod_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$  index.php?_a=product&product_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule info_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$  index.php?_a=document&doc_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule tell_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$  index.php?_a=product&product_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule _saleItems(.[a-z]+)?(?.*)?$  index.php?_a=saleitems&%1 [NC,L]
  ######## END v4 SEO URL BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY ########

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
  RewriteRule ^(.*).html?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]

Another thing I noticed though was my sitemap is still showing pages with  the old  cat_9.html or whatever number.  I thought the seo_urls redirect in the .htaccess file were supposed to redirect these to the new search engine friendly urls. Could you tell me please if it is correct to have these in the sitemap, as again I would have thought this was duplicate content.

You should not be seeing the old v4 structure. I don't have that section of the .htaccess in mine.

Please try to rebuild the sitemap.

admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, Rebuild Sitemap is checked.

"I thought the seo_urls redirect [statements] in the .htaccess file were supposed to redirect these to the new search engine friendly (sef) urls."

No, the rewrite rules do not redirect to sef URLs. They accept the sef phrase and:

* CC4: discards the phrase looking strictly for cat_9 then adds the necessary query string

* CC5: moves the phrase into a query string

then passes to CubeCart a very plain and standard formatted URL -- the file name to fetch and execute, index.php, and the query string:

* CC4: _a=category&cat_id=9 (CC5 knows how to handle this format)

* CC5: seo_path=sef_phrase

I have no advice regarding the third-party utility -- other than to upgrade it to the version coded to work with CC5.

Should you let CC5 make the sitemap, you can open it in a text editor and remove anything you don't want in it.

"these duplicate cat_  files"

These are not real files. These are phrases in a URL that are "decoded", so to speak.