Resolved - Using PHP in templates

red sun

In an effort to solve an issue with the newsletter subscription form not providing a success message I thought a quick solution would be to look for the "subscribed" variable in the url and use php to echo a success message (I know the recommended approach is to create a plug-in but that is beyond my abilities).

I followed the instructions in the CubeCart support files for enabling PHP in templates and added the following code in controllers/controller.index.inc.php:

$GLOBALS['smarty']->allow_php_tag = true;

The documentation states

1. For front end skins server from the /skins folder please open the controllers/controller.index.inc.php file

However there is no "controllers" directory under "skins", so i modified "controllers/controller.index.inc.php".

I then added the smarty php tags as per http://www.smarty.net/docsv2/en/language.function.php.tpl

However when I try to add any code, or even just  empty {php} {/php} tags the page fails to load.

Has this feature been removed form the latest version of CubeCart or have I missed someting really basic?

According to the Smarty docs, you can switch out the class instantiation from:

$GLOBALS['smarty'] = new Smarty();

to

$GLOBALS['smarty'] = new SmartyBC();

in the /controllers/controller.index.inc.php file.

(SmartyBC - backward compatibility - extends from Smarty.)

Hi there - I tried that and also updated the path in autoloader.class.php to the following without any success.

require_once CC_INCLUDES_DIR.'lib'.CC_DS.'smarty'.CC_DS.'SmartyBC.class.php';

Your reply to my other post regarding problems with the newsletter form not showing a response has helped greatly, so I have no need to add custom php to the templates at this time.

Many thanks for your help so far. I may re-open this topic if I hit any future problems where custom php would provide a quick fix...

Might also have needed to change the statement above:

if ($class == 'SmartyBC') {

Or, maybe, we could have not changed the controller file, not changed the if statement, and just relied on the changed require_once statement???

A combination of all three of your suggestions did the trick.

In controllers/controller.index.inc.php change

$GLOBALS['smarty'] = new Smarty();

to

$GLOBALS['smarty'] = new SmartyBC();

in classes/autoloader.class.php change

if ($class == 'Smarty') {

require_once CC_INCLUDES_DIR.'lib'.CC_DS.'smarty'.CC_DS.'Smarty.class.php';
      return true;
}

to

if ($class == 'SmartyBC') {
      require_once CC_INCLUDES_DIR.'lib'.CC_DS.'smarty'.CC_DS.'SmartyBC.class.php';
      return true;
}

Finally, I popped the following code into the template file box.newsletter.php

{php}
      echo (isset($_GET['subscribed']))?'<p class="confirmation">Thank you for subscribing</p>':'';
{/php}

Many thanks bsmither - another problem solved !!!

This one Smarty statement should do the same as the {php} attempt:

{if !empty($smarty.get.subscribed)}<p class="confirmation">Thank you for subscribing</p>{/if}

See: http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/language.variables.smarty.tpl#language.variables.smarty.request

Knackering the admin area... maybe. But there is a separate controller file for the admin.