Latest Products on homepage

What's strange is I have manually input 2 products and they have appeared on my homepage as "Latest products", but the minute I try to activate one of the products from the imported catalog, not only does that product not show on the homepage, but the 2 original products that I input manually "disappear" from my homepage. I have an ongoing CC Ticket going right now, but so far no luck.

I am beginning to think I will have to input my 110+ products manually.

Oh my, that IS strange! Have you checked to see what the creation date is now in the database for the two manually added? Is it still the correct date or did something happen to that date?

Here's what the structure of my date_added column in the _inventory table looks like:

The last item I added had this in the date_added column - 2013-08-07 15:29:12

I just heard back from CC Support. They are telling me that "Latest Products" is NOT based on date, but ID Number. At least I think that is what they are telling me. Here is their latest reply to my ticket.

You simply can't expect to show older product in Latest Product area as this one is for VERY latest products dedicated. Every product as ID assigned and the top IDs should appears there however they MUST have a category assigned.

Product edited last time has id 623 however there are many other products with higher ID they were added just after. Number of latest product is 8 you simply can't expect product id 623 appears once there is more than hundreds younger ones.

Seems the latest one is

SEEDING RAKE- 9 TINES

id 743 I already assigned a master category and now appears in Latest Products

Hope it makes sense.

OH, and the ID they are talking about is not the Product ID or Product Code, it is the Product ID assigned in the data base.

Well it sounds like CC uses the product_id number in the _inventory table to determine which are Latest, not the date_added value at all. But that still doesn't explain why the two you added manually didn't show up after you fiddled with an imported item.

What exactly did you do when you "activated" an imported product?

Instead of trying to manually add all 100+  - try deleting one product you really want to show as Latest and add it back in manually and see if it shows up correctly - and don't try to do anything other than being sure all have a category.

Tried that...didn't work.

The two I added manually have ID #'s that are much higher than most of the products I imported.

I understand what CC support is saying, but the logic of how "Latest products" is determined (according to their explanation that I posted) escapes me. Seems it should be by date added. With what they are telling me, new products added would need to have a lower value ID # to make it into the "Latest Products".  Right? Could this be something new with 5.2.2?

No, my latest product has the highest product_id, just as you expected. Do the manually added ones have a category designated? And again, what did you do to "activate" the imported ones?

Maybe the problem is in the structure of the product_id column, since that's what CC seems to use.

Here's my screenshot of that:

Yes, the manually added ones do have categories designated. In fact, I just checked my data base, and the two manually added products actually have a lower ID than the ones I added via the Product Import, so that would seem to contradict what Support told me.

Only 1 imported one has been activated so far. (I've been doing other things.) Support activated it from their end.

Now...after a little looking at my data base......

I see the one Support activated by assigning a category has the highest product ID at 723 of all the imported products. (The 2 manual ones have the lowest ID.). Support had said: 

Product edited last time has id 623 however there are many other products with higher ID they were added just after. Number of latest product is 8 you simply can't expect product id 623 appears once there is more than hundreds younger ones.

Not sure if it's just the way Support stated it, Support's statement could be taken either way I guess.

Let me ask this....if there is a product that I want to appear in Latest products and it has a lower id, can I just change the id number in the data base?

"if there is a product that I want to appear in Latest products and it has a lower id, can I just change the id number in the data base?"

No! Please do not ever give thought to changing the value in the id column of any record in any table. That only leads to lying in the fetal position in the middle of the room staring into space for hours on end.

"if there is a product that I want to appear in Latest products and it has a lower id, can I just change the id number in the data base?"

No! Please do not ever give thought to changing the value in the id column of any record in any table. That only leads to lying in the fetal position in the middle of the room staring into space for hours on end.

LOL...OK, thanks! :dizzy:

Taking into consideration the parameters mentioned in posts #4, 8, and 10, to make sure one product appears, switch off the "Show in Latest Products" of the products you don't need to appear until the one you do shows up.

The query from which the list is derived sorts by two parameters: 'date_added' - more recent first, and in case of a tie having same dates, then 'product_id' - higher number first.

Then the database returns the number of records set by "Number of Latest Products to display".

Where I said the "Number of Latest Products to display" is 8 (Max), I think I'm wrong. Try 20 and see what happens.

Yes, I just figured that out after spending all this time on it. It's "latest date-highest ID" that makes it to Latest Products (if that option is "green checked"). 

I hope to be working on products again tonight. I will set the number of Latest Products higher than 8 and let you know what happens.

I may have confused you; if I did, my apologies.

I uploaded the Product Catalog more than once. First time, I completed and activated (assigned categories) 2 products. When they didn't show in the Latest Products, I deleted all but those two so I would not have to manually type the info again if I had to manually input all the products. (I started alphabetically and didn't realize they had low ID numbers, but all 122 products had the same date.). I didn't realize it was an ID number hierarchy. I thought something was wrong with the Latest Products code. Next time I uploaded, I uploaded all but those two products, but the dye was already cast....so to speak. 

"Since doing a mass product import from a .csv file..."

Please be specific on the method you used to make the mass import: CubeCart's Import Catalogue, or an external utility such as phpMyAdmin.

If using Import Catalogue (CC522 is what I am looking at), if the source record has a value for 'cat_id' greater than zero, then an entry will be made in the CC_category_index table making the association between the Category with the specified 'cat_id' and the just inserted product.

Note, however, there is no check to make sure there even exists a category with that cat_id. Thus, since some areas of CubeCart require a product to have a category associated with it to list it, and if that category does not exist, the product will not get listed.

OK, now I understand. It doesn't take much to confuse me, so no apology necessary!!! I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this.

Thanks. At least I now know how it works. If I didn't spend all this time on this, I would have just been doing something foolish like getting work done.  :rolly: