Resolved - How to add multiple categories to a product upload

Man_

In Excel??? To be imported as a CSV by phpMyAdmin to the CubeCart_category_index table?

The index_table structure is such that:

cat_id: numeric value of the id number of the category

product_id: numeric value of the id number of the product

primary: 1 if this category is the product's main category, 0 otherwise

So, if you start with a spreadsheet of all categories (and their names), you can then flood-fill the product_id column with the product_id.

Hello Smither,

I am going to upload the products via import on the back end, the only problem I have is that I want to give one product a main category number and also add that same product to a different category with another number, is it only one number allowed and also the product code, If i am uploading via import how can I get a auto generated product code?

Thank you Smither.

Even though there is a column 'cat_id' in the 'CubeCart_inventory' table, I have come to believe not all of CubeCart will use it (not even as a fallback if no records are found in the 'CubeCart_category_index' table).

That said, CubeCart uses 'category_index' to associate the item's primary category and all other secondary categories. The only way you would know what the product_id of imported products will be beforehand, is to have a column 'product_id' in the file to be imported, with a number higher than the highest number used so far in the 'inventory' table. Then you can import a second file as discussed above.

phpMyAdmin's file import feature may have a setting (or an 'understanding') that if a column is given in the file that would other wise auto-increment, then tell the database to switch off the auto-increment function as use the value given. But then be sure to not allow a condition to happen known as "Duplicate key for index."

Hello Smither,

I am not talking about the phpadmin, In microsoft's Excel right, the product code is left blank so when I go to import via the admin panel it doesnt automatically generate a product code, though i would like it to.

please see image below.

thank you very much

Ok.

I don't have a CSV file prepared, so this is just an experiment for you to try.

In the file /admin/sources/products.import.inc.php, near line 150, find:

// Insert if we have a product record with at minimum a value for the product name
if (isset($product_record) && !empty($product_record) && !empty($product_record['name'])) {
  $product_record['date_added']    = $now;

Above the last line of what's shown above, add this line:

if (empty($product_record['product_code'])) $product_record['product_code'] = generate_product_code($product_record['name']);

This says, if there is no product_code that was processed in the the line of the CSV just read, generate one from the name given and assign it to product_code.

The product code generator is the same one used by CubeCart if, when adding a new item manually, you select "Auto-Generate Product Code".

And, this is for CC52X - I haven't examined how/if this would work in CC515 or earlier.

Also, I think I see how one can add secondary categories to an imported record. I'll look into that later.