Resolved - Issue with USPS changes - July 28, 2013

Dirty Butter

Not sure what is involved, but from the way this email (received today) reads CC will need to make some adjustments to make this USPS upgrade work for us.

USPS will release updates to the Web Tools APIs on 28 July 2013. The staging environment is currently open for testing your updated applications. You may review staging information and the release notes at the USPS Web Tools site here <http://j.mp/18dTBs1>  for more details. 

If you rely upon a third-party developer (e.g. software or ecommerce/cart provider) for USPS products and services on your website or your shipping application, please direct any application-specific questions to them.

For questions and concerns, please contact our customer support at 1-800-344-7779 or [email protected].

Regards,

Web Tools Program Office

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, but I'm getting orders with no shipping choice shown on the Delivery tab of the Order page since the USPS change. I can tell which they meant by the cost of s/h, but something is not being handled correctly. And I've had a few potential customers let me know that they were only given the more expensive Priority International choice rather than the First Class International choice - whatever the names are now.

"no shipping choice shown on the Delivery tab of the Order page"

The code I see so far uses the name of the module, not the name of the service the module provides, when displaying the Shipping Method. (That said, I also see evidence that, on Free_Shipping at least, the database column 'ship_method' in CC_order_summary holds the admin-supplied name of the module, "Free", for example, instead of the module name, "Free Shipping".)

• 2 weeks later...

That "question mark in black diamond" means that your browser does not know what character to show for this character code. Which is strange because USPS started using the HTML entity number for the trademark symbol - which is supposed to be very universal.

And the Trademark symbol shows up for other US shipping choices - and those DO show correctly in the Order Summary Delivery box. JUST CHECKED with an International test order - Priority Mail International has the diamond, too - but it DOES show correctly in Admin. So I guess this has nothing to do with my Delivery entry erratically showing.

No, nothing readable in the cache that might have something to do with shipping. I do know our Postmaster said someone else was having trouble with the USPS's own online shipping site since the changes, but haven't noticed anyone else mentioning this issue on the forums.

Other than the fact that this is what it is supposed to be, this is new. At no point in the documentation I read does it say that the USPS will be putting the Trademarked and/or Registered symbols in its Domestic rate responses. International? Sure.

I mentioned somewhere (I thought in the CC4 analysis) that CC5 can handle whatever the response might be. (I will look again at the code.)

You see #8482 and #174 surrounded by a lot of stuff. That's fine. But, as always, because the non-stock skin is a variable, we must remove that variable in an experiment.

What, in particular, do you see as puzzling?

But let's try this experiment anyway:

In the USPS module file, shipping.class.php, find near line 135: ## Send request

Then, 17 lines down, find:

'name' => (string)$this->cleanName($option->MailService),
'value' => (string)$this->plusHandling($option->Rate),

Change it to this:

'name' => $this->cleanName((string)$option->MailService), // put (string) in a different place
'value' => $this->plusHandling((float)$option->Rate), // replaced (string) with (float) and put it in a different place

Then, 18 lines later, move the indicated characters for the 'name' and 'value' statements.

Note: 'MailService/Rate' is for domestic while 'SvcDescription/Postage' is for international. Manually make each edit to what is indicated in each statement, don't just copy the first edits to the second.

Didn't seem to work. What puzzled me was that shipping options I don't have checked show up in the transaction log BEFORE I changed the code, and there was no trademark symbol, right or wrong, in the transaction.

Your code made ALL the shipping options show, whether I had them checked in Admin or not. And the diamond still shows. OOPS - just saw you said to do it twice. I'll be back.

OK the code shows only what it should when I follow your directions correctly, but the diamond is still there. I took a test order as far as PayPal, which makes it Pending. There is nothing in the Delivery text box in the Order Summary, so it's still not working.

PS I did not clear cache, in case there was something you wanted me to check first.

Transaction Log? These are the headers on an order's TL tab table:

Transaction ID Status Amount Gateway Date/Time Notes

Where are shipping options showing in the TLs?

But I'm not worried about the transaction log just yet.

Are you actually referring to the Request Log? No, you won't find the actual symbols there.

If the shipping choice is not reflected in the admin Order Summary, Shipping Information boxes, we can check if they show in the actual CubeCart_order_summary table, ship_method column. Have we already established if anything is recorded in this column?

Sorry for using the wrong term - I meant the I left the cache alone in case you needed me to relay the Request Log.

Anyway, there is no data in the ship_method column. The last time there is a USPS supplied First Class method shown is before their last changes. I have been putting in my version of First Class in the blank so the customer email would show the shipping method. All the test ones from yesterday are empty.

BUT I had to take your code off temporarily. We lost a Singapore order last night because the Request Log shows the correct USPS postage of $20.15, but the customer was charged only my handling change. That has never happened before.

To help us locate where CubeCart is losing the shipping, please enable CubeCart's "debug" mode and enter your computer's IP address (www.whatismyip.com). By entering your IP address, CubeCart will show the debug only to you.

As you work through the checkout process, the debug block will show the contents of the '__basket', including the shipping choice made (but not the shipping choices prior to selection). If the shipping choice is shown after selection all the way to the "Complete" phase, then the problem is when CubeCart makes the final update to the "order_summary" table.

OK. I'll put your code back in and enable Debugging and create another test order. Here's what I think you need, but the page is still open if you need something different:

'shipping' =>
'offset' => 1
'name' => NULL
'value' => 5.61
'tax_id' => 6
'min_shipping_set' => true
'cart_order_id' => '2013-PC-2283'

'order_status' => 1

In the checkout page where you get the black diamond, please have the browser View Source, scroll to the drop-down selector HTML, and copy the series of <option> statements.

Hopefully the source will show what the HTML is supposed to be in place of the diamond.

You can probably do this more easily with Firebug.

<option value="eyJvZmZzZXQiOjMsIm5hbWUiOm51bGwsInZhbHVlIjo0LjQyLCJ0YXhfaWQiOjZ9"> $4.42 (First-Class Mail� Parcel)</option>

Strange thing - ALL the shipping choices, whether I have them checked in Admin or not, are showing - happened yesterday, but I couldn't reproduce it then. Firebug does not have code for the trademark - just the diamond.

I didn't take it to actually going to PP and the debug shows:

'shipping' =>
'offset' => 1
'name' => 'First-Class Mail� Postcards'
'value' => 2.68
'tax_id' => 6
'min_shipping_set' => true
'order_taxes' =>
'0' =>
'tax_id' => 9
'amount' => 1.08

Then I "paid" and again I got this: