Customer able to cancel order?

salvador21

I just received an email from a customer who had cancelled their order, but the payment had been captured from their debit card by Worldpay.

WP customer support told me that when I refund I still have to pay the Worldpay fee.

How is it possible for this to happen? Surely the customer should not be able to cancel a payment, or if they do then Cubecart should notify Worldpay immediately. (Within 20 minutes, Worldpay would have been able to cancel without a fee)

You might want to ask this on the 3rd party forum as well - as you'll likely find more people there using Worldpay.

Except that Worldpay said it is not their issue. Unless they receive a  cancellation communication from Cubecart, they obviously don't cancel, which seems fair enough as all they got was the order. They told me it was a shopping cart issue.

I suppose another question should be "is it right that a customer can cancel an order?" What happens if I've already dispatched the item and they cancel?

"What happens if I've already dispatched the item and they cancel?"

A customer cancelling an order does very little. (And I think the same applies to an admin cancelling an order.) An email is sent that says simply:

"Order number {$DATA.cart_order_id} has been cancelled."

(You may want to change this by including a link to your refund policy document.)

and the stock levels are restored. Download links remain valid. The customer's order count is not decremented, a coupon used is not restored, a gift certificate used is not refunded, Google Analytics isn't updated,

There is code that will cause the "Cancel" button to not be shown if the order is anything other than Pending or Processing. So, when you mark the order as Complete (having dispatched the product), this button disappears. (But a savvy user can issue the URL directly. Again, this does very little.)

I have not known any version of CubeCart to completely and automatically handle all that is appropriate when a customer cancels an order.

"Surely the customer should not be able to cancel a payment."

A customer cannot cancel a payment (unless they have some means to do so via their PayPal account). They can only cancel an order. They can initiate a charge-back, but that is a very different scenario.

I used Authorize.net, which has a known time that they settle that day's batch. Prior to the settlement, I was able to manually cancel the transaction that was pending in that batch.

So, based on how you have expressed your scenario, I understand that WorldPay settles a transaction almost immediately?

So, based on how you have expressed your scenario, I understand that WorldPay settles a transaction almost immediately?

Not quite, they have a 20 minute window in which I can manually cancel the payment without incurring fees.

But to use this effectively I would need to sit by my computer watching out for customers paying and then cancel.

Of course I understand that under their statutory rights they can cancel ask for a refund up to a week (or is it 2?) anyway. 

"that under their statutory rights they can cancel ask for a refund up to a week (or is it 2?) anyway."

In what country? And what does your country's statutes say as to how you can ameliorate financial damage to your business? Re-stocking Fees?

"that under their statutory rights they can cancel ask for a refund up to a week (or is it 2?) anyway."

In what country? And what does your country's statutes say as to how you can ameliorate financial damage to your business? Re-stocking Fees?

In the UK

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

I'm unsure exactly what the legal position is on restocking fees, though that article seems to suggest they should not be charged. Bummer.

In the case of this post, restocking fees don't apply as the cancellation was done before dispatch of the order. 

I can't speak to the legal verity of this site, but I would say (not being a lawyer), that to get all this spelled out in your Terms and Conditions and Refund Policy documents would solve a lot of potential issues.

Get these considerations posted and things like who pays 'return shipping' and any 're-stocking fees' (to cover the cost of stated non-refundable expenditures, such as delivery charges, taxes on delivery charges, credit card interchange fees) on non-defective, non-substitute, accurately described products being returned or orders cancelled become much less contentious.

Having read more of the "useful comments" posted on that site, I see that CubeCart's limited action on a customer cancelling an order is a good thing. Other than restoring the item's stock level, which may not happen until the product is received back from the customer, the ability to cancel an order in CubeCart is a convenience that initiates the "process" of an order cancellation -- a process that of necessity has rights and responsibilities incumbent upon both retailer and customer.