Resolved - Add New Admin

bsmither

Well, my problem is certainly something I did -- it's not a bug in CubeCart -- although I'm not too sure about the administrator management code either.

It's really strange how the CubeCart PHP code is behaving on my development machine. A backup copy of CC522 is working fine.

Since I usually flounder around making all kinds of mistakes, I have managed to undo damage a few times by renaming and replacing whole directories, like classes, with a known good copy. Once I know which directory has the issue I can usually find the problem as I narrow it down to only the most recently modified files. Very Down and Dirty, and of course I don't make as many experimental changes as you do in the process of helping others, so I have fewer recently modified files.

I found the problem. It is a case of my not realizing a side-effect of how PHP can and does express global variables.

There are variables in a global scope (outside of functions) and there are Super-Globals, which can be seen everywhere.

I have been working on an experiment where I was using the typical method of instantiating classes and assigning that class to a Super-Global. For example, here are statements the instantiate common classes needed to run CubeCart. The instances are assigned to the Super-Global array, $GLOBALS (a reserved variable name in PHP):

$GLOBALS['cache'] = Cache::getInstance();
$GLOBALS['db'] = Database::getInstance($glob);
$GLOBALS['config'] = Config::getInstance($glob);
$GLOBALS['debug'] = Debug::getInstance();
$GLOBALS['session'] = Session::getInstance();

and others.

Naturally, one would therefore use this to instantiate the admin class:

$GLOBALS['admin'] = Admin::getInstance();

Not so fast.

It seems that PHP will also make these instances of classes available with the respective global variables:$cache, $db, $config, $debug, $session, $admin, and all the others.

So, if PHP is executing code in the global scope - not inside a function - as it is with many of the files in the admin/source folder, one cannot use any of the above variables. And yet, the Create New Admin portion of the settings.admin.inc.php file does that very thing.

Conclusion: In the case of the Admin class, one must never assign the instance to $GLOBALS['admin'], but rather always communicate with the instance as Admin::getInstance(), because CubeCart may use the variable $admin elsewhere (in a global scope). Until that maybe changes in a future version.