FedEx Shipping Configuration

MoonShadows

I am going to use FedEx shipping for my new site. I will be charging a $2.00 handling fee on shipping which I have input into the FedEx Shipping module, but when I do a test purchase, I don't see the handling fee. Is it supposed to be listed separately, or does it just become part of the overall shipping fee?

Also, if packages I ship will be different weights and dimensions, what is the purpose of the packaging weight, length, width and height within the module? Won't the shipping rate be figured "real time"? Why do I need these in the module, and do I have to put values in the module for them? How do they affect the final shipping rate the customer sees/chooses?

Any help is most appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, just realized this should have been posted in the Shipping/Postage Support Forum.

"I will be charging a $2.00 handling fee on shipping which I have input into the FedEx Shipping module, but when I do a test purchase, I don't see the handling fee. Is it supposed to be listed separately, or does it just become part of the overall shipping fee?"

My experiments show that all modules will add the handling fee to each of the shipping service costs and will display to the customer the total for each service. That is, $15 + $2 for Ground, $25 + $2 for Overnight, will be displayed in the selector as $17 and $27 respectively.

"Also, if packages I ship will be different weights and dimensions, what is the purpose of the packaging weight, length, width and height within the module?"

I think Devellion is using the Amazon.com approach to shipping. Only three sizes of boxes and even if you only ship a single book, it goes in a carton that has known dimensions and weight, even if that carton is ridiculously oversized for the item. If you have a commercial account with FedEx, you may have a CSR who can clue you in on just how stringent the dimensions need to be. Is FedEx very strict because the dimensions are critical, or are they just wanting to make sure the 2L+2W+H does not exceed a limit? If the latter, measure a standard FedEx carton and use those dimensions. But get an average of the weight of empty cartons you will be using, and enter that.

"Won't the shipping rate be figured "real time"?"

It does. For the weight of the carton plus the weight of the products you will putting into the carton.

"Why do I need these in the module, and do I have to put values in the module for them?"

(Contact your CSR, first, but...) Try without. If you get nothing or an error message, then you know.