Upgrade from

stuck989

CubeCart Version: 4.4.5 PHP Version: 5.2.17 MySQL Version: 5.5.32-log Image upload folder size: 1.6 MB Server Software: Apache/2.4.4 (Unix) Client Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.95 Safari/537.36

Hi There, 

I was wondering if you could help. We are looking at the option of upgrading from version 4.4.5 to 5.22 and were wondering what ramifications this would have on our SEO rankings.  The last update seemed to change our url structure and we do not know what it may do again. 

The skin is also custom so we were wondering what this would do to the site. 

Welcome to the forum!

There are ways to set the .htacess file to deal with SEO issues on upgrade. I'll try to find some threads dealing with that and post back.

As for your skin, you won't be able to use a v4 skin on v5, but you may be able to approximate the look with one of the stock skins or with a commercial skin.

Please copy your setup info listed in your post to your signature, including what you upgraded from and to and if you are using the Zend or ionCube loader. That way people won't have to ask each time you post. See directions in my signature.

Welcome stuck989! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

CC5 is able to accommodate CC4-style friendly URLs, but I have not experimented with whether they actually survive the upgrade. (I am an SEO-atheist, so I have almost no answers when it comes to this aspect of CC5.) In other words, where other sites that may have your current friendly URL links, CC5 will be able to deliver the correct response.

Hi Guys, 

Thank you for your responses so far! Really good to see there is an active place to ask some questions. The URL's are not currently SEO [keyword friendly] and the last time it was updated / installed it seemed to remove the keyword friendly urls which have left us with 14k 404 errors in WMT. 

I will have a search around the forum as suggested, are there mods that can help with sitemap / redirects that you are aware of?

I will also place the installation details in my signature as advised.

CC does create a sitemap - look in the Maintenance section of Admin.

There is a commercial mod that is supposed to improve the creation of sitemaps for v5, but you'll have to research that on the 3rd party forum. Before buying any mods it's wise to read through the feedback people have given on the developer.

As you read through the RewriteEngine search posts I suggested, you'll find one or more commercial developers have made suggestions. You might want to contact them.