Paypal Checkout major problem with USA customers

paullgr

Hi all,

I had complains from customers that they could not complete the checkout. When they choose paypal (as it is currently the only option) they were not re-directed to paypal tjey got an error message 

The following errors were detected:

Error: A match of the Shipping Address City, State, and Postal Code failed. Shipping Address Invalid City State Postal Code

After numerous experiments from me I realized that it is happening only to USA customers. If I make a purchase ,put random details and country USA I get this error message. If I go back to address details and put any other country (for example UK) it takes me to paypal normally. I am not sure just I think that this happened after i made an update to version 5.2.1

My site is www.paul-jewellery.com and I use paypal plugin and express checkout

Any help?

Thank you all in advance

I use the simpler PP choice found in Payment Gateways, not the Plugins. There's an email address override choice on that PayPal screen that works properly for me when I leave it at the X.

I DID have an issue with the new USPS names for some shipping options causing a CC coding problem. It may be that you are getting these results because of that. Do you have any black diamond question mark symbols on your checkout page where it shows the shipping choices?

I remember discussing this with one other person (I'll have to go through my notes.)

At first we thought that the city name, Park Place, was wrong and it should have been Park Place City. But that wasn't it.

If I recall (I've just started on my first cup of coffee), the problem was based on PayPal wanting a state code, 'IL', and not a state name, 'Illinois'.

And if I recall, this is caused by a logged-in customer's addressbook delivery address being correct by storing a state's ISO code - which is used to get the state abbreviation, but a 'ghost' customer's in-checkout delivery address form store's a state's name - which cannot be used to get the state abbreviation.

Or it could be the other way around, but I think this is what was concluded.

Can you confirm that the complaining customers are 'registered' customers, or are they filling out the billing/delivery address form during checkout and not registering (being a 'ghost' customer)?

Thank you for your replies,

Dirty buffer,

I dont use paypal gateway because its not working. Just staying in "transfering" and nothing is happening. So all this time (about a year) I am using paypal plugin and express checkout.

I dont have any black diamond marks..I am attaching a screen showing the error

Bsmither,

During my experiments I tried to complete a transaction as ghost and as a registered customer. I also tried different/same billing/shipping addresses with state code or state name..the result was the same 

The last complaining customer was registered, I had him online via the chat and I was keep changing these specs and putting him to complete the transaction after all possible changes ..the result stayed the same

However if someone press "proceed" ignoring the error message I get this message from paypal

"This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

:(

Hi again and thank you both

Bsmith I saw the thread read it carefully and came to this conclusion from what I understand (not much details since I am no expert developer)

The problem is the state 

I made again a fake usa customer . Registered and as a state i put "Tennessee" ..I made an order the same error again

I login and change to the  address details state from Tennessee to TN and it WORKED

So paypal wants a State CODE not full state name

How am I going to fix this so my customers fill state CODE not name ...is it possible at the address form they suppose to fill when they put USA as a country the state box become a dropdown menu with all state codes included? So forcing them not to type the whole state name!!!

I am sorry for my english its not my mother language

If its possible to fix and needs an expert taking a lot of time I am willing to pay for it

The strange thing now , about my real usa customers that keep waiting for me to fix it I tried to change the state name to code from the admin panel-customer list put I cannot since there is a drop down menu with all the sates in full name !!!!!!

Thank you in advance

The drop-down selector option shows the full state name, but the selector option value, and what gets put in the database, is the state's ISO number.

If you have customers in the addressbook table that have characters instead of a number in the state/county column, then these must have carried over from an upgrade?

Normally, the State entry field is a regular textbox. But javascript wuill change that to a selector when the javascript sees the Country as 'United States' (or a few other countries).

If the registered customer's addressbook form, and the checkout process billing/delivery address form (for non-registered customers) does not have a drop-down selector to choose a State when the Country is United States, then there is a problem with the javascript that is supposed to make the text box appear as a selector.

You are right at the customer's address book form and the checkout proccess billing/delivery form when The country is USA the state text box does not change to a dropdown menu..so its the script damaged yes?

Only when I check as admin via the admin panel the customers address book the dropdown menu appears ..but there is no point there

any advise on how to fix it?

Troubleshooting your site, I discover that javascript is crashing when something (I have not found it yet) is calling the function 'chosen'. CubeCart is loading the jquery.chosen.js script from the /js/plugins/ directory, but I think the problem is that the name of this function is 'Chosen', not 'chosen'.

I also use jquery.chosen, so I will compare what I have with what you are using.

Also, you are using a third-party skin, so we must insist that:

1. You try this using a standard skin for a quick trial - if it happens in a standard skin, we can look at CubeCart code.

2. Please resume this discussion in the third-party forum, www.cubecartforums.org, where we can try to solve the problem if the problem is with the skin.

You are right once more..I tried it on a default skin and a dropdown menu appears when I put USA 

So its the custom skin..I am moving to cubecartforums....you are a life saver trully!!!! 

The guy who made this skin for me is unavailable ...