Create Order for digital download

Iona

Hello, I am new to this forum and to cubecart (we are using CC5) so please bear with me!

Currently, we only supply digital download products and I am testing the system before we go live. Under "Orders-Create Order," I have have made an order but it doesn't deliver.

I receive the Order Confirmation but no "Your purchased downloads" order with the links to the products.

When ordering from the front end, I usually get 3 emails: Order confirmation, Thank you for Payment & Your purchased downloads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, yes I've done that and it works fine - but the reason i want to "create orders" is for my customers who don't use the website but who I would like to send receipts and orders out to via the site. I charge their card myself via paypoint on a repeat transaction basis. 

Iona, unfortunately, CC5 is disappointingly limited in what an admin can do with respect to creating an order on behalf of a customer from the admin side of the store.

Currently, posing as that customer in the storefront is the only satisfactory solution to that business process.

Once the order is at Pending ("checked out" but not paid for), and admin can move it to Processing (making payment else-wise) and the email with the download link should then be sent.

FYI: One other aspect of creating an order needed in admin is the lack of the ability to choose any options that may be available for the product.

Digital-only orders do, in fact, bypass "Processing" (payment made, waiting for dispatch) and go straight to "Complete" when a customer is checking out.

I will have to re-verify if, when an admin moves the order to Processing, CubeCart would then move the digital-only order to Complete.

Ah sorry....are you saying, login as the customer - put the items in the basket - select checkout.

Goto admin - the order will be there - change status to "processing"

Take payment elsewhere

Change status to "order complete 

The abort front end?

(Luckily there are no option choices with our products)

I will have to re-verify if, when an admin moves the order to Processing, CubeCart would then move the digital-only order to Complete.

Did you take your test order to the point that you are sure there is a download link in the email for a manually moved to Processing order? Does CC automatically move your digital order to Complete under this circumstance?

The links were in the email but I just followed them and its says the link expired yesterday - how strange! The email link says expires Penny Product: (Link expires on 2013-09-20 01:31)

And there were also 2 "Your Purchased Downloads" emails sent at exactly the same time. I think I will delete all my test emails, there are quite a few now and I could be getting confused - then I'll try again and let you know.

Iona

I can't access that one. I would also like to change the date format!! (Still, I am seeing him tomorrow so will ask for a lot of settings to be turned back on for me!)

I think I had so many test orders I was getting confused as to which one was correct...I "was" looking at one from about 2pm today though so how it followed through to an order I made yesterday (and since expired) I really don't know. I think I may be confusing things by testing from the same computer under a few different names & emails - and I can't see anywhere to "log off" from the store front so have to close down admin and start again each time. 

Anyway, I deleted all orders and customers and started again.

Unregistered user - works fine.

Another order and register the user - works fine.

Test admin override - worked fine.

Another order and only take it to "checkout" - then go into admin-orders - it shows as "pending" - I then made it "complete" (skipped processing) and hey presto, emails all turned up (order confirmation & Your purchased downloads "with" links) (no thank you for payment email)

Links lead to products fine too.

Was it okay to skip processing? 

Now will abandon front end - and testing as been at it all day (eyes going square).

Will check back in with you guys in a bit though.

Thank you x

To review:

* When the admin creates an order (insert CC_order_summary), and a digital product is added to that order (insert CC_order_inventory), there is no follow-on where CubeCart will also enable the ability to download that product (and probably no email sent).

* If the order is "digital-only", when the admin moves the order from Pending to Processing, CubeCart will further move the order to Complete.

* CubeCart will email one message: Order Confirmation #123456-123456-1234

I am now testing a hack that will execute the follow-on where CubeCart will enable the ability to download that product (insert CC_downloads) for admin created orders.

During testing, when I moved the order from Pending to Processing (then Cubecart moved it to Complete), CubeCart (with no changes to that respective code) emailed this message: Your Purchased Downloads with a viable link to the digital product.

I have yet to verify that the link will also appear in the customer's Account page, but I reasonably expect it to be there.

I have not tested various permutations, such as, when adding a second digital product to a Completed order. Will emails be sent? What happens to the existing digital product record in the CC_downloads table?

I will create another post with instructions. This is a simple hack, and the functionality as described should be considered a bug-fix anyway.

(As seen elsewhere, another hack will have CubeCart email a message: Thank you for your payment! when an admin moves an order from Pending to Processing. During my tests, I got all three messages.)

"...and I can't see anywhere to "log off" from the store front so have to close down admin and start again each time."

You are trying to log off? As what? As a logged-in customer or as the admin?

What is happening that is making you believe "close down admin" is necessary?

• 1 month later...

Hi again

We did have a developer building our site but he was soooo slow and had turned off so much functionality in the back end, that we started over, bought another CC licence, and glad to say, we're finally nearly ready to go live!

I'm going to test the admin created orders process again and will let you know how I get on. I know you wrote some code too bsmither to help with this but I didn't really understand it or why it was needed, nor would I be able to implement it (but might be able to get help with this.) Also, Al of CC was going to test it I think. You don't know how he got on do you? 

Kind regards

Iona

Oops - replied without realising there was a page 2 here! Will re-read your review above.

Ahh, I think I've got it now!

I "can" use CC (as it is) to create orders by digital download, but only by posing as the customer in the front end, adding the digital product to the basket & proceeding to checkout, then going into back-end admin and moving the order to processing. 

I "can't" do it "all" from the back-end because (as I've just re-tested) CC doesn't follow through with all 3 emails - and only sends the order confirmation email. And the code you've written fixes this?

A few questions then, if I can;

Sticking to as is: How do I see the customer's login password to pose as them in the front end? Under customer-edit customer, I can only see blank fields to change a password.

If this is seen as a bug fix: Do bug fixes just get added to the code - a bit like when there are new updates for software on your computer/phone etc - or is it something that gets done on a new version? And how do we know if and when it happens!

Just to say at this point as well - Many thanks to this forum. I don't think I would have had the guts to go it alone otherwise!

"I "can" use CC (as it is) to create orders by digital download, but only by posing as the customer in the front end, adding the digital product to the basket & proceeding to checkout, then going into back-end admin and moving the order to processing."

That is how one needed to do this prior to this conversation.

"I "can't" do it "all" from the back-end because (as I've just re-tested) CC doesn't follow through with all 3 emails."

I'll have to check on that.

"How do I see the customer's login password to pose as them in the front end?"

You can't. No one can. It's a security thing. There is an assumption that a person may use the same password for more than one activity/site. If one site's security is compromised and the password is obtained, that password could be tried elsewhere that this individual frequents. Can of Worms: <open>.

Do bug fixes just get added to the code or is it something that gets done on a new version?

New version.

Thanks for getting back.

OK - so since this conversation, we can now use your code?

You did check - above in this conversation.

Makes complete sense with the security thing - but how do you log in as your customer otherwise? Or should I just not be thinking of this now if we can use your code and do it all from the admin?

"but how do you log in as your customer otherwise?"

You really can't. You would have to convince the customer to do it. Or advise your customer you will be changing their password and that once the order is established and the customer notified, tell the customer their new password so they can change it back.*

Which is why a needed enhancement to the Create New Order is to have all the capabilities as that enjoyed by the customer in their shopping experience.

* In one of my CubeCart 3 stores, I added code that also checked for the entry of a ridiculously complicated password - something not even a deity could remember or guess.

So, read this conversation:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

and let us know how it goes. If you need hands-on assistance, please send me a PM with your email address.