Digital Document security

Iona

Hi

When I upload digital files into "Download" it appears they are not in a secure area but can be accessed without the need to purchase.

From the forum I've realised my downloads need to be stored above the public "path" - I think anyway! Could someone let me know how to achieve this!!

Many thanks, Iona

When I upload digital files into "Download" it appears they are not in a secure area but can be accessed without the need to purchase.

From the forum I've realised my downloads need to be stored above the public "path" - I think anyway! Could someone let me know how to achieve this!!

You dont say what hosting your website is on and paths will vary but if you are using cPanel, then the downloads folder should be created above the public_html.

So if your path is /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/downloads - this should be moved to /home/xxxxxxxx/downloads - no files are then accessible.

Thanks

Ian

In your hosted account's details, you were given the info necessary to use an FTP utility. (Your hosted account may have an FTP utility in its toolkit, but you may prefer your own FTP application installed locally.)

I have found that FireFTP, a free Firefox add-on, is an excellent choice. FileZilla is also good.

Use it to create a directory above or to the side of public_html (you may already have a folder named public_ftp -- you can use that),

Then, in admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, enter that path in the Custom root file path field.

Although I haven't tried to do this, this folder is where your digital products should now be retrieved from when requested.

And I just do not know for sure, but CubeCart may be allowed to upload your digital items, using CubeCart's FileManager for Downloads, to a folder outside its root home folder.