Forced SSL Sitemap with http:// url's

Dirty Butter

Further to this I have SSL running. On a PC all is well, however if I use a mobile device, and mobile version I can select products, but the SSL certificate is not recognised even though the url is the same  as the PC when I go to the shopping cart. 

Any more info required or advise would be helpful.

regards

Duncan

"the SSL certificate is not recognised"

Would you elaborate?

For a security certificate to be "respected", the signing authority must be known to the browser. This is accomplished by the browser periodically updating its "chain of authority"(?) list. So, if you have a cert from buz.com, who's parent is bam.com, whose parent is bar.com, whose parent is foo.com, whose parent is verisign.com, your browser may need to know about all those certifying authorities.

Here is a test:

In Firefox, you can install an add-on that will send a "user agent string" identifying the browser as a mobile device app. Doing this, the site will see that a mobile device is making a page request and will send the mobile variant of the page instead of the "full-screen" variant. But it's the same browser and will be using the same list of certifying authorities.

I am saying that the web browser app on your mobile device may need to have it's list of certifying authorities updated. Perhaps the device's operating system has the responsibility to keep this list updated.

And it's the job of the web server to initiate a secure connection, not CubeCart.

Thanks bsmithers for your quick reply.

to elaborate:

The error is shown as a "Security Warning"

There are problems with the security certificate for this site. The name of the site does not match the name of the certificate.

I opened firefox and ran a search for an add-on " user agent string". Is this what I require?

More later

Duncan

The addon I use is:

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

I recall seeing some code that added '-mobile' to some other part of CubeCart, but I'm not sure of its effect.

"The name of the site does not match the name of the certificate."

That mobile app should allow you to see the details of the certificate that are being presented, versus what the site is reporting it is.

• 4 weeks later...

After some time I have found out a little more about SSL. SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer. There are two main types.

Some configurations require a specific type of SSL Cert. Do you need to cover multiple domains with a UCC (Unified Communications Certificate), or unlimited subdomains with a Wildcard SSL? Use these questions as a guideline to help find the SSL you need to cover multiple secure sites:

1. Where are you located? 
  2. Is this for a business or personal website?
  3. Which type of server of Web hosting do you use?
  4. How many unique domains do you want to secure with HTTPS?
  5. Do you need an SSL Certificate that supports Intel vPro technology for remote PC management? 

I have a single certificate that covers a single URL (harrisorganicwine.com.au) and therefore the mobile site as a subdomain was not covered by the SSL.

I now have a choice, either a wildcard SSL (with multiply subdomains) or a buy another single domain SSL.

regards

Duncan