SEO Settings questions

masterunix

Hello All,

I just want to change the way Cubecart is dealing with SEO, but i am not sure if this has something to do with a SEO setting in the admin?

What i want is like this:

If i create a product and i name this "DEMO" then i fill in the META title "DEMO" i want the META data to be "DEMO"

Now what is happening is this:

META data is "DEMO + general SEO text from the general SEO settings"

I want to get rid of the general SEO that is added on ALL pages ...

Thank you for your reply, but it didn't work.

I also cleared the cache in maintenance tab, but no difference.

Any other ideas?

Currently i see this:

<title>Chains - Global Meta Tags</title>

But it should be:

<title>Chains</title>

Why is it using the global meta?

Global meta tags in the title?

In admin, Store Settings, Search Engines tab, for the Browser Title, what do you have? On a fresh CC5 installation, CubeCart puts the store's name here (Jupiter Mining Corporation, for example).

You change the store's name to what you want on the General tab, but there is also the Browser Title field on the Search Engines tab.

The title then takes the form of:

Test#3 - Jupiter Mining Corporation - (Powered by CubeCart) - Mozilla Firefox

I have always used "Replace Global Meta Data" on our shoppes. I don't like the fact that the shoppe name shows on the Google Search title. Usually only a tiny piece of our name shows, so you end up with - "name of the item - Dirty". Always thought it would look like it was a soiled item to anyone browsing the Google Search results, but did not know how to correct this.

If there's a way around this for Google, I'd like to know as well. I'm not concerned about the Browser title, though.

For each product, category, and document, when editing the properties, there is a Search Engines tab. (Store Settings, SEO URLs must be enabled.)

This area will allow for a custom (or additional - depending on the setting of Store Settings, Search Engines, Global Meta Data Behaviour) phrase in the browser title.

Hello Dirty Butter,

Opencart has for every product or category its own unique page title without adding the global meta tags on every page title.

We migrated to Cubecart and we want all 301 goes well for each page and information and we don't want gobal meta on every title page.

Also its bad for SEO.

Google for duplicate page titles ... will give enough results and reasons not wanting all page titles the same.

For each product, category, and document, when editing the properties, there is a Search Engines tab. (Store Settings, SEO URLs must be enabled.)

This area will allow for a custom (or additional - depending on the setting of Store Settings, Search Engines, Global Meta Data Behaviour) phrase in the browser title.

Yes you are right, but if you use a short title like: "DEMO" Cubecart will still ADD global meta title to it so your product or category will show: "DEMO + global meta title"

Masterunix - We do NOT get duplicate title tags warnings from Google - each title is unique. I would just prefer that our product title Search term on Google NOT have the store name appended.

Bsmither - leaving off the Search Engine Title doesn't work well for the Browser at all. Since Google gets the Sitemap as links, there doesn't seem to be a way to solve this without leaving the Browser title empty or just tolerate it, which is what I've been doing.

There are ways with Wordpress to leave off the site name appended to the post title. It would be great if that could be done for product titles, without losing the site name on home pages.

I see this approach: kill completely the code that adds the global browser title, or perhaps just kill it if there is an available title for the product.

In the file /classes/seo.class.php, near line 451, find:

$title[69] = $GLOBALS['config']->get('config', 'store_title');

Either put // in front, or change it to:

if(empty($title)) $title[69] = $GLOBALS['config']->get('config', 'store_title');

@bsmither

PERFECT! You are my hero. This is what i was looking for!!!

@Dirty Butter

Yes i have my own info on each product and category for everything and ofcourse unique for each product or category.

I hope Cubecart will add this feature as default, because its really better for SEO purpose in this way!

There are ways with Wordpress to leave off the site name appended to the post title. It would be great if that could be done for product titles, without losing the site name on home pages.

Perhaps CC could develop a page of choices for how urls would look for home page, categories, product, etc. - something like this plugin:

Yes Wordpress has a strong SEO platform and the plugin you are refering to works very great i had this one also on our bloggers website :)

In this way you have full control over SEO.

Don't get me wrong ... Cubecart has a GREAT SEO out of the box, but some little tweaks are better to make it more perfect.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have noticed some changes to the address bar in version 5 (I had Ruki's SEO mod on my version 3 shops that showed categories/sub categories in the titles etc)

What is better for SEO purposes?

• myshop.com/my-product.html
  • myshop.com/my-main-category/my-product.html
  • myshop.com/my-main-category/my-sub-category/my-product.html

I see that cubecart shows all categories and products as below: (unless you manually add something different)

• myshop.com/my-product.html
  • myshop.com/my-category.html
  • myshop.com/my-sub-category.html

​Basically immediately after the main domain name each time

Any help/direction would be appreciated before i start to add the thousands of products :-)

Cheers Gary

Hi Gary

SEO is a complex subject and what is best for one site in one industry could be very different to another site or another industry sector.

Very generally speaking, the way that CubeCart now does urls is better as the least number of levels to get to a page, the better. However, that can then be completely changed by how well, from an SEO point of view, your categories and products are named - if you have thousands and cant realistically add custom url paths AND the products arent named well etc etc.

Thanks

Ian