Unstable VPS SQL service down once a day

masterunix

Hello All,

Our webshop is getting bigger and our database is growing. However we also got a lot of spider/crawls traffic that causes our server outage yesterday.

I talked with our hosting provider and they blame the developers or the system administrator of the serer.

I am sure it is not the development, because Cubecart is a paid shopping cart solution with a lot of customers.

Is anyone able to help me setting up the server in a correct way?

PS: This is my hardware:VPS, 2.69 GHZ, RAM 1824 MB, Disk Space 80 GB, Bandwidth 1425 GB

Helpdesk summary conversation:

(9:00:13pm)helpdesk.:Hello! How can I help with this today? 
(9:25:04pm)helpdesk.:Hmm, I would highly suggest contacting a developer to assist you with optimizing the site's usage of CPU, masterunix. 
(9:27:00pm)helpdesk.:masterunix, it had just recently used up too much of the server's MySQL service. Which means that it is needed to be optimized to handle mysql queries better. 
(9:27:38pm)masterunix:any server upgrade will help? 
(9:28:11pm)helpdesk.:It will not help, however you can save money by simply optimizing the site. 
(9:29:40pm)helpdesk.:It would mean that it is worked on to handle services better, as right now, it's causing issues on MySQL. 
(9:29:57pm)masterunix:can you suggest what and how to optimize it? 
(9:33:17pm)helpdesk.:As mentioned, fixing up the MySQL configurations, as well as the site's handling of MySQL queries would be great. 

You have a "Virtual Private Server" (VPS) to host your website (Apache?) and run your applications (PHP5.2 or 5.3). And it's only you on this VPS?

Where is the database server? Do you have a dedicated installation of MySQL on your VPS? (Many would argue that having your database server on the same box as your web server is a bad idea, security-related.) At least the database server would be yours.

However we also got a lot of spider/crawls traffic that causes our server outage yesterday.

I talked with our hosting provider and they blame the developers or the system administrator of the serer.

Spiders crawling your website should always be welcomed and should certainly not cause server problems ! While it sounds like your VPS provider isnt being too helpful, their question regarding "Who is your System Administrator" indicates that you have an unmanaged VPS and they simply provide the VPS system. If this is the case and you dont have a System Administrator and you dont know how to do this yourself then you will have a serious number of issues. Have you installed and configured a firewall, have you tuned Apache and MySQL (MySQL is installed with no configuration AT ALL and will not work very well on a new VPS or Server)

PS: This is my hardware:VPS, 2.69 GHZ, RAM 1824 MB, Disk Space 80 GB, Bandwidth 1425 GB

That sounds like a reasonable resource configuration although many fail to realise that RAM is almost always a limiting factor in VPS systems as you have to ensure you have enough not just to run your website but also the Operating System, Apache, MySQL etc etc - this will be borderline (which is why small VPS systems are NOT suitable despite what many hosting companies tell you while trying to push everyone to the latest "thing") but unless the server installation has been configured properly as I mentioned above, then memory will be very quickly fully used up and the server will slow down (as it starts swapping) and then crash.

You say your site is getting busier but dont give any numbers - we have clients with VERY busy sites with large visitor numbers taking lots and lots of orders per HOUR on our E-Commerce shared hosting packages because we tune and manage the server for you and also look after server security. A VPS is rarely needed unless your site is very busy and it is an expensive option unless you have the skills to fully manage the server and system fully and store owners are generally better off spending their time, energy and money running the store !

If you are interested in one of our hosting packages, we will migrate your store over to one of our servers for you for free and as we provide full CubeCart support as part of our E-Commerce hosting packages, we will also check the store configuration as well and ensure it runs quickly

Thanks

Ian

CubeCart allows spiders of course as its a crucial part of getting your site out there. It certainly shouldn't bring it down!! Is there any clue to what did go down? Maybe have a look in the server logs to see what service went down and for what reason. 

You may need a server admin to do this. Non of us are server admins. 

Ian beat me to this.. HE is the man who knows! :)

You have a "Virtual Private Server" (VPS) to host your website (Apache?) and run your applications (PHP5.2 or 5.3). And it's only you on this VPS?

Where is the database server? Do you have a dedicated installation of MySQL on your VPS? (Many would argue that having your database server on the same box as your web server is a bad idea, security-related.) At least the database server would be yours.

Hello bsmither,

I have everything running on the same box and i think the VPS configuration is OK ... but i need someone to confirm this.

@havenswif-hosting

Running a webshop on a shared hosting with an order per hour? That is not good specially you can not turn on cached options and if you allow that on your server and more clients do this your serer will be down also. Also shared hosting is not secure at all. I appreciate your concerns, but i am looking for help from administrators or someone who knows how to configure my box rather then moving to another hosting since the hardware is good and there is nothing wrong with my hosting.

I am still looking for some answers how to fix this.

If i move from VPS to Dedicated server will this solve my issues? If so, please tell me the requirements and how to setup the dedicated server.

Thanks.

I have everything running on the same box and i think the VPS configuration is OK

Well quite obviously it isnt ! You didnt answer the question about whether you have an expert System Administrator or you have the required skills to configure Firewall, Security, Apache and MySQL none of which is done on a basic image installation when "installing" a VPS

... but i need someone to confirm this.

That is far too complex and lengthy a task to cover in a forum, especially one that deals with CubeCart. If you dont have the skills to do it yourself then you need to pay somebody to do this for you but then you have another problem in that you need to have enough knowledge and expertise to ask for the correct configuration

That is not good specially you can not turn on cached options and if you allow that on your server and more clients do this your serer will be down also. Also shared hosting is not secure at all.

Really, really and really again ?? We run a large number of servers with a strong focus on providing secure and very fast CubeCart hosting on a mix of shared hosting, reseller hosting and client dedicated servers (a couple hosting CubeCart websites with multi-million pound turnover businesses !) and host a very large number of CubeCart websites on all of these. Cheap shared hosting is less secure than from a quality hosting company but a poorly configured, or totally unconfigured VPS, as it sounds like in your case, is FAR less secure than most shared hosting.

I appreciate your concerns, but i am looking for help from administrators or someone who knows how to configure my box rather then moving to another hosting since the hardware is good and there is nothing wrong with my hosting.

This is not the correct forum and as already said, this is far too complex a task to be covered in any forum. You will need to pay a System Administrator to do this for you.

If i move from VPS to Dedicated server will this solve my issues? If so, please tell me the requirements and how to setup the dedicated server.

Absolutely not, there is little difference between configuring a VPS and a dedicated server - most hosting companies will provide a bare metal installation of the VPS or dedicated server along with an standard image installation of your chosen OS and you then need to configure it to your requirements.

@havenswif-hosting

The fact is if you run a shared hosting with lets say 1000 clients on the same box you have 1000 times more chance of downtime or being hacked. Also if the server get a failure all 1000 clients have a failure. This is something there is no discussion about.

I am wondering if you sell shared hosting to Magento customers? That will be fun.

However i appreciate your comments, but i am not waiting for hosting companies who claim they are better and i need to move. I chose my own webhoster and i have my own reasons for that.

I just need help configuring my box the right way and of course even when it costs money it doesnt matter we also hire freelancers when its needed.

I want to know if a dedicated box is better then VPS.

We had a dedicated server before when running Opencart with 40.000 unique visitors a month, 20.000 products and downtime was 0.

But that was another business and we sold it anyway.

@Al,

Yes it might be Cubecart i dont know ... how can we get in touch to have a look at it?

After a long road of analyzing and testing it seems my server could not handle that much traffic from ALL of my webshops based on Cubecart and Opencart running on the same VPS (i had running around 12 webshops in total) and Google was on our website very often since we have Domain Authority of 36.

However Cubecart is working even better then Opencart! Since we run now a Dedicated server.

Very happy with my new server  :yeahhh:

New specs:

Intel Xeon Quad Core, 2.5GHz (8 threads)
250 Mbps Uplink
4 GB High Performance RAM
1,000 GB RAID-1 Drives
15 TB Bandwidth
3 Dedicated IPs

Now we migrated ALL our websites and webshops to it (over 38 domain names) and everything is fast and working.

I really didn't know Cubecart can run this smooth compared with Opencart.

Thanks for your feedback though.