FYI: re Google mod_pagespeed and CC5.2.5

SimChris

Hi folks

as part of the fun with our new webserver installed over holiday, we're testing using Google's mod_pagespeed with Apache (aka "GPS"). The benefit is that it can speed up sites by managing caching, minification of JS/CSS, optimization of images, etc.

The results have been a bit mixed, and tweaking continues.

However, we did run into one issue with CubeCart 5 and folks using Mac OSX Mavericks and Safari where when they went to add an item to cart nothing would happen.

I thought it was strictly related to javascript but turning off all the JS optimizations for store had no impact on the issue that customer brought to my attention on Saturday Jan 4, 2014.

I'm only sharing this here for those who may use an "edge" hosting provider, or GoDaddy, or many others now implementing this technology. For the moment I have turned off mod_pagespeed for CubeCart using an htacess file in the CC directory (so it will work for rest of site).

In doing some research I think this is related to the https connection and mod_pagespeed rewriting some items which the store needs to use to cache or enable a form element to push data to dbase or cookies, getting borked.

This will not impact most of you right now, but GPS is moving from an edge solution to a production solution and many hosting companies are starting to implement due to the popularity of php/dynamic based sites (e.g., WordPress) vs classic static pages (e.g., shtml/html) and having something of an "all in one" solution for common issues with optimization, and developed by the Google "overlords." ;-)

Happy New Year! :-)

Forgot to say; once I have a viable "proper configuration file" for CC, I'll share it here. It did really speed things up a lot, especially the home/landing page loaded almost 3x faster!

FYI, for GoDaddy I believe mod_pagespeed is "off" by default. You can switch on by editing htaccess file to "enable" those "filters" you want active. With my setup I have to do it the other way around, with "all on for all sites" but then trim or off by site or directory.