Filezilla - Upload file size differences ?

Nik Grey

Hi Folks,

I am using Filezilla, just replacing files in order to see if another revision of the Lettering Tool I am having made will work this time.

Something odd is going on - I am uploading a file with a size of 36,395 but once it is uploaded it is smaller - at 35,691

I havent noticed this before, I always rename the file I am replacing and deleting the original to be replaced to be safe but every time I upload the file it is smaller on the server.

Surely this is not correct ?

Transfer type is Auto.

I tried setting Transfer Mode to 'Passive' as per the filezilla instruction page - still the same.

I have been using this for years and never noticed this !

Many, many FTP programs, if set to Transfer:Auto will also convert the text file to use the line endings of the receiving operating system.

If your file is on your Windows (DOS) computer, the line ending is CR-LF (0D 0A in hex, two bytes).

A Linux operating system uses just LF (0A in hex, one byte)

Macintosh (I think) uses just CR (0D in hex, one byte)

So, the difference in file size is: 704. I would say the the file is 704 lines long.

That's a nice catch that you noticed. Shows you are paying attention. But that's the reason for the file size difference.

I just don't understand why I cannot get anything to work myself :(

Months I have been building this business - I have all of the hardware in place and have perfected all of the processes I am offering, I just need a couple of tools before I can open.

I was hoping, maybe it was ME uploading things in the wrong way (although for at least Ten years I have been doing so with no problems).. it's still a mystery.

Ok, I tlooks like I now have Both tools working.

The 'Lettering Tool' was a simple Folder Permissions issue but as I was getting Zero instructions with that package there's no way I would have known what the problem was.

It's Here.

I am told that provision has been made for this in the latest revision which I am yet to receive (in admin it will tell me if the permissions are wrong).

And I'm having people test the image uploader, any of these at the moment: Here. which has gone smoothly from start to finish in its development thanks to Jonathan.

No, I need to work out how to place a link in the main menu on the left which will take people to my Lettering Tool as a page in its own right, and work out how to stop the previous Lettering Purchases from being displayed.

It's been a Roller Coaster but will be worth it once it's all working and I can open up properly :)