why did i drop on google rankings?

mayhem69

Google recently changed their algorithms to more specifically focus on "answering a question" vs "keywords" as in the past. We've been doing SEO since 1995 (seriouisly), and the main things you need to focus on now:

1) clear explanations of your products and services containing the keywords you most want to be found under

2) possibly add blog to your site where you can "speak" about your products, and your industry, adventures

3) make sure your XML sitemap is found in Google Webmaster Tools for your site; you may need sitemap for main site, but also for store, if in two different sections

4) check your Google Webmaster Tools account for notes about bad links, page errors, missing content (when you retire a page, you need to 301 redirect to new page or ensure your have useful 404 page)

5) your site will be deprecated in search if it has a "bad user experience," (UX), meaning if it's too slow. Use Google PageSpeed Insights (free), or GTMetrix to test your site, and ensure your images are optimized, you use appropriate headers for expiration times, caching, etc. -- Google is putting a huge emphasis on mobile compatibility and the "speed" your page loads. A desktop score of under "75" out of 100 would be "bad" by today's standards, for example. (FOR EXAMPLE: our store landing page has a Google Pagespeed score for desktop 93/100 and 80/100 for mobile).

6) finally - inbound links; quality links from organic sites mentioning your site and linking to it -- not paid links, not link exchanges, not "spammy" anchor text on black hat sites -- all of that would get you a "warning" from Google. Good links help. Bad links hurt and now hurt bad.

Hope that helps. :-)

9th January 2014 the was a new Penguin update, so you might got hit ... and if you are hit before ... there where some new updates starting in summer 2013 i think it was August and October 2013 ...

With some luck if you discovered where Google hit you the must you can fix this by asking SEO experts to work on your backlinks and wait for the new Google update i think its in April 2014.

Sorry to hear, but goodluck with it and try to make your business SEO organic independent (i know its hard).