Subdomain license?

masterunix

I am busy setting up a very complex, but good SEO structure using multi languages, but i found out today Cubecart wouldnt allow subdomain?

It says:

That licence key is not valid for this domain. Allowed domain(s) are domain.com.

Why not *.domain.com ?

I paid for the domain right?

I want to have more then 10 subdomains it means i need to pay 10 times for one license for one domain?

Not really happy about this.

We already own 5 cubecart license for 5 domains ... not allowing subdomains is crazy.

Strictly speaking a domain is "an area of territory owned or controlled by a particular ruler or government."

The software license agreement but it does explain this in relation to CubeCarts usage. 

SOFTWARE LICENSE KEY USAGE 

Upon purchase of a software license key you are permitted to operate one CubeCart powered live store. Multiple software license keys can be purchased if you plan to operate more than one live store however it will be possible to install as many development stores as you want on the same website domain / IP address. Development stores must not publicly accessible through search engines, hyperlinks or advertising. This can either be achieved with the use of password protection or by ensuring no hyperlinks are made to it. The Licensor decides what is deemed as a live store and development store with reason. The licensees software license key will become locked to the first location it is setup on and it will never expire. The Licensor reserves the right to suspend or disable any software license key at any time without notification. The administration control panel of your store will be inaccessible after a short period of time if the software license key has been disabled, suspended or for a number of possible other technical situations. If the administration control panel becomes blocked due to a technical situation a sales or support representative of the licenser will provide assistance rectifying the situation whether the Licensee has an active technical support plan in place or not.
An official representative of the Licensor can reset a software license key so that it may be used on a new store or if the Licensee moves to an alternative hosting account or server. The Licensee accepts that the administration control panel of the old store will automatically be disabled after a short period of time unless an additional software license key is purchased for it and applied to it.

Please let us know any development domains you would like us to add to your software license key. We do not offer a wild card license option.

I am busy setting up a very complex, but good SEO structure using multi languages, but i found out today Cubecart wouldnt allow subdomain?

If you wanted to setup good SEO for multi-language versions of a site there are far easier ways to do this than to have a different site for each language - mostly using built in CubeCart functionality along with a few add-ons

That licence key is not valid for this domain. Allowed domain(s) are domain.com.

Why not *.domain.com ?

I paid for the domain right?

I want to have more then 10 subdomains it means i need to pay 10 times for one license for one domain?

Strictly speaking even www.example.com is a different sub-domain to example.com but most software companies will allow both but be aware that many SSL certificates will only cover one or the other and not both.

I am sure that Al is sorting something out with you, but we have always found that if you want development licences to run on a different sub-domains, then Al has always been very accommodating. If you are running different businesses on a different address then why do you think that you should be able to run a piece of software that is licenced to one domain on as many as you want ? That is the same as thinking that you have 10 PC's in the one house so can run the same version of Windows or other software on them without paying for each. The cost of a CubeCart licence is tiny in comparison with your setup and on-going costs.

We got it sorted via the sales desk. I think the subdomain way could work well if its tied to GeoIP and automatically has the correct regions set on load. Saying this search engines should be able to spider CubeCart appropriately and put certain content for certain locales for certain searches anyway. 

Forward slash could be just as effective. There's always many ways to do the same thing. Microsoft take this approach which must work for them:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/

http://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/

etc... 

You could add some mod rewrite to change locale accordingly combined with "GeoIP" redirects. Personally I think the {language}-{language version} approach makes lots of sense. 

hi Al

I thought that you would get it sorted for him - was just pointing out that 1) using a different sub-domain is effectively the same as using a different domain, so automatic free use of licenced software shouldnt be assumed and 2) there are far simpler ways of doing it along the lines you have suggested which dont require multiple licences and worse still, management of multiple stores. The Inveo SEO mod works very well when configured properly with CubeCart (see http://www.fonerize.com as an example where it is in early stages of being implemented) and that along with a geoIP mod to auto-switch currency and language (see http://www.evolution-slimming.com where if you connect using an IP address from say Spain, France, India etc you will see a V4 version working very well) - a V5 version is under development by the way which will be integrated with Inveo SEO product.

Thanks

Ian

@havenswift-hosting

We need subdomains on our server for something ... i appreciate your own vision or "trying to help us" ... but we know what we are doing and how we need to do our work.

And normally when you buy a license for a domain ... subdomain shouldnt be a problem ... so i just dont understand why it doesnt let you add subdomains out of the box.

Anyway i am happy with the service to get it sort out so we can keep on moving with our own plan on SEO ;)

It makes a lot of sense why we don't allow unlimited subdomains and its common practise in licensing circles. 

How do we stop a company buying a domain like topcart.com and then selling ecommerce solutions like client1.topcart.com, client2.topcart.com etc..? Competitors have this model already. 

If you look at it from that point of view our license system make a lot of sense. I'm sorry but we have no plans to change this. You've bought a software license key for one "domain". Strictly speaking this means one production shop which normally will have a fixed "website domain name". It's rare our customers ask us to add any subdomains but we do in circumstances such as this.