How can I make "subscribe to mailing list" compulsory?

nutbags.co.uk

I need help with two issues please. Firstly I'm using Kurouto blue as the skin on my site www.nutbags.co.uk  and some customers have said they had trouble finding the log in button. Its right at the very top of the page but they've usually scrolled down and lost sight of it! Is it possible to move the log in or register buttons,perhaps to underneath "your shopping basket" or alternately to leave them where they are but making the text larger??

My second question is that I would like it if customers had to opt out of subscribing to mailing lists rather than opting in.Can I do this?

I'm using mailchimp to send out my newsletters every 6-8 weeks and that gives customers the option to unsubscribe which I'm happy with.I find too many customers are not opting in at the registration stage.

thanks

1. We will be making edits to four template files: box.session.php, common.css, layout.css, and main.php.

In box.session.php, make the code look like:

<div id="session">
    {if $IS_USER}
    <h3>{$LANG_WELCOME_BACK}</h3>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="{$STORE_URL}/index.php?_a=logout" title="{$LANG.account.logout}">{$LANG.account.logout}</a></li>
    <li><a href="{$STORE_URL}/index.php?_a=account" title="{$LANG.account.your_account}">{$LANG.account.your_account}</a></li>
    </ul>
    {else}
    <h3>Welcome, Guest!</h3>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="{$URL.login}" title="{$LANG.account.log_in}">{$LANG.account.log_in}</a></li>
    <li><a href="{$URL.register}" title="{$LANG.account.register}">{$LANG.account.register}</a></li>
    </ul>
    {/if}
</div>

We have added the black header bar that is above every sidebox, and made the links into an unordered list so that the CSS will make that list look like the Shop by Category list.

Next, in common.css, near line 59, find the #session rule. Replace that rule with these rules:

#session {
}
#session > ul {
    list-style: none outside !important;
    margin: 0px;
    margin-top: 1px;
    background-color: #FFF;
}
#session > li {
    min-height: 20px;
}
#session li > a {
    display: block;
    line-height: 20px;
    color: #FFF;
    text-indent: 15px !important;
}

We copied most of the Shop by Category stylings to our new box.

Next, in layout.css (found in the sub-style folder, blue), find the group of rules that style #menu. Above those rules, add this rule:

#session li > a {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #2C6A83;
    background-color: #449DC1 !important;
    border-top: 1px solid #98C9DC;
}

These are the colors for the blue sub-style.

Finally, in main.php, find {$SESSION} and move it to the sidebar_left or sidebar_right areas (near line 60), whichever you prefer.

Now, in admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, clear the cache so that CubeCart will fetch and use these new versions of the skin template files.

2. That depends on the laws of your country. In the US, we have the CAN-SPAM Act, which, as I understand it, says if a person makes the initial contact with you, you can add them to your list of email recipients.

In the template file content.register.php, near line 23, find this part of that line:

{if isset($DATA.mailing_list) && $DATA.mailing_list == 1}checked="checked"{/if}

We can have the checkbox default to being checked, then if the customer does not want to be on the mailing list, they can uncheck the box.

{if true or isset($DATA.mailing_list) && $DATA.mailing_list == 1}checked="checked"{/if}

By OR'ing a true into the {if} test, checked="checked" will always be an attribute of the checkbox.

• 4 weeks later...

further to this posting earlier,I now find that if a customer chooses to register an account using the "register" button next to the "log in" button, then the "subscribe to mailing list" option is checked,as per the mod we did above. However I still noticed that all new customers placing orders,and therefore registering by the checkout route were coming through as "not subscribed" to newsletters. I created a dummy account to test the system and found that by registering this way I wasn't asked if I wanted to receive newsletters. I don't mind if it stays that way but how can I now make it so that they are registered for newsletters? I use mailchimp to send out my newsletters every 10 weeks or so and there is plenty of opportunity for people to opt out then.

thanks again for advice.

I'm desiring this very same element or setup. As the company grows, I'm finding too many customers aren't doing this either at registration and hurts the out flow of info I want to send on a regular basis. I wish I didn't have to do all the code changes myself though, it's not my area of expertise.

Best,

Mike

RSP

I hear you! There are some things I simply cannot grasp (setting up a reverse proxy server) and I wish there was a forum that has very responsive, knowledgeable, individuals that can give concise yet complete, well-written answers to discuss my issues.

Someone will be along shortly to offer you their services. If no one contacts you in a couple of days, bump this thread.

Thanks, I know I just suck when the conversation turns to rewriting codes and what not. It's not a major ordeal, I have had nothing but smooth running for nearly a year now and upgrade immediately and never had a glitch yet, knock on wood... So thanks for your help. It's always appreciated.

For the Newsletter options, I'd love it if was as simple a function to set like X or √ symbols with a lot of the other settings in the back end. I need that sort of simplicity honestly.

Best,

Mike

RSP