Emails don't work using SMTP method [CubeCart 5.2.6 & 5.2.7]

convict

• 2 weeks later...

hi convict,

I am having this problem and I downloaded your classes.zip file and restored them to their original path but I still have the same problem occurring, so what have I missed.

Below is my recent testing:

This has got very confusing however interesting, I have done some extensive testing between versions 5.2.5, 5.2.6 and 5.2.7 and have found that in the store settings on the admin page for the advance tab and email setting for the sending method is set to 'SMTP' then it seems to fail. Below is php_error_log

C:xampphtdocswerevr4x4accessoriesShopclassesrequest.class.php on line 255

[04-Feb-2014 06:12:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Class 'SMTP' not found in C:xampphtdocswerevr4x4accessoriesShopclassesphpMailerclass.phpmailer.php on line 1142

When I change this setting (Store Settings>Advance Settings>Email Sending Method) to be PHP Mail() Function and change nothing else and then test the shop front it all works as expected.

In Australia we use 'SMTP' as a sending method so therefore we need to have this fixed has anybody got any clues as I do not know where to go next.

Is this the same bug?

How do I use your fix any help will be helpful

regards,

peterp

Hi Peter

Interested in your statement that "In Australia we use SMTP to send emails" - plenty of people use php mail() as well !

To use SMTP you will also need to correctly fill in the other email related settings (php mail doesnt need any of these) and as you said that you had changed nothing else then that is likely to be your problem.

However as you are using xampp, you also need to ensure that SMTP is configured correctly and works outside of CubeCart - have you tested sending emails via SMTP via another application to ensure this is working first ? On a Linux server, things like SMTP will be configured for you by the server admin which is why we always recommend doing any testing or development in the same environment as you are going to deploy into.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Peter

Interested in your statement that "In Australia we use SMTP to send emails" - plenty of people use php mail() as well !

To use SMTP you will also need to correctly fill in the other email related settings (php mail doesnt need any of these) and as you said that you had changed nothing else then that is likely to be your problem.

However as you are using xampp, you also need to ensure that SMTP is configured correctly and works outside of CubeCart - have you tested sending emails via SMTP via another application to ensure this is working first ? On a Linux server, things like SMTP will be configured for you by the server admin which is why we always recommend doing any testing or development in the same environment as you are going to deploy into.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for you input it is always appreciated, we have had no problems in the past with the configuration we had. We use the same configuration in the live sites and have had no problems sending or receiving emails and all of the sites we look after are using the same setup and its only when we do the upgrade from ver 5.2.5 to ver 5.2.7 that we have this issue. The setup for SMTP has been proven as this is used in our email provider with no issues. All of the necessary parameters have been setup and it still fails and as you can see from the error log it cannot find the appropriate CLASS. I don't think any of the SMTP parameters would change this.

thanks

Peterp

C:xampphtdocswerevr4x4accessoriesShopclassesrequest.class.php on line 255

[04-Feb-2014 06:12:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Class 'SMTP' not found in C:xampphtdocswerevr4x4accessoriesShopclassesphpMailerclass.phpmailer.php on line 1142

Is this the same bug?

Yes files attached are fixing error you mentioned above. php() mail works well without any fix. Seems you didn't replace files.

Hi Peter

I asked regarding the SMTP settings as you didnt mention it and you would be amazed the number of people that try to use SMTP without filling them in !

So are you saying that the settings havent changed and used to work fine on your xampp installation on 5.2.5 but now dont on 5.2.7 - if that is the case and everything else is equal then sounds like something in 5.2.7 is causing it.

Have you tried the same settings on a 5.2.7 store on Linux hosting - we have plenty of clients using SMTP on both of these CubeCart versions without an issue so could very well be a xampp specific issue but as we would never use that, I cant really say.

One other thing to look at - if 5.2.7 is working on a Linux install but with the same settings, it isnt on xampp, is what php versions are you running in both environments ?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

That is totally correct no changes and the SMTP works fine on 5.2.5 whereas when the same configuration is used in 5.2.7 it fails, the next thing is change the email settings and guess what works fine but doesn't suit the environment that we use. As far as trying on a linux environment the remote server is just that and that is why we have this issue, it does not work using ver5.2.7.  I spent all last weekend implementing custom changes to a live site only to find at the end it failed, I then spent the next day and half checking every change and upgrade to find that all was ok. I have checked the php versions and they are the same the only change I have done locally is reinstalled the ioncube. The version we are using of PHP is 5.4 What I'm saying is that cubecart ver 5.2.7 is no taking into consideration SMTP irrespective of the environment it is run in.

Regards,

Peterp

Hi Convict,

At this stage I am still experiencing this problem, however I am going to try some more testing today to just confirm my results before I lodge a support ticket as this issue is causing me to have to rethink what my clients can do with cubecarts upgrades or lack of upgrades in the future.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Peterp

Hi Convict and all others interested,

your SMTP fix seems to have worked and it all now seems to work as expected, thankyou everybody who help your help is invaluable me

Thanks and best regards,

Peterp

Hi Ian,

Well I guess it was, it was a classes fix that was provided by Convict which consisted of a mailer.class.php and PHPMailerAutoloader.php when I unzipped and implemented the problem went away and all was fine again.

Thanks for your interest and help

regards,

Peterp