Vector skin license key

DiscoDan

We purchased the Vector skin from ShopDev earlier this month and installed it along with Fusion 2.2

After adding the license key that was emailed everything worked fine till we started getting errors saying Fusion needed to be installed, in place of the site. Via admin we accessed the Fusion settings and got a message saying our license key was invalid. This occurred for several days and then magically worked again.

My colleague has made numerous attempts to make contact with the developers via their support system but has had no reply. Which leads me to think we may have paid £50+ for something that doesn't always work.

Anyone else heard from ShopDev recently or had a similar experience? This isn't great for us or our client.

Dan

Hi Dan

We have sold and installed a LOT of Vector and Blueprint skins for our clients as we love the functionality and support was always great (1 to 2 days maximum) but unfortunately just recently (last six months) the timespan between getting answers has stretched to many weeks (we have tickets from over a month ago) but then they will suddenly get answered all within one day - obviously this isnt ideal for anyone let alone service companies like ourselves.  This is a real shame as these are by far the best V5 skins available.

In terms of the specific problem you are having - when you had the problem, did you check and make sure that the licence recorded in Fusion Configuration for the skin was the same as the one recorded in the licence list in your account ?   Had that licence been used on any other domain at any time ? A while back the shopdev domain got detagged and was therefore not available and licencing requests (which at the time were done each time the site was accessed !) were immediately failing causing a huge number of people to have sites that werent accessible.  I have been told by the developer that the licencing now uses a local licence file which is valid for up to 30 days and so if a remote check fails then it will use the local file if within this time.  However, we have also seen the above problems on occasion but it has always been where we have used the licence code on a development site for a while and then switched to go live but without looking at the way they have implemented their licence checks it is impossible to say the cause of this.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the quick response. The license has only every been used on one domain which is the live site so there hasn't been any switching around. I can see how that might have affected things.

Do you know where the license file lives locally? Maybe I should check that it's been created.

Let's hope this support issue is just a blip, especially as everyone seems to sing the praises of the skin.

Cheers

Dan

Dan

If you have ever had the skin running, then the licence file would have been created.  If the licence code is the same in the two locations then a possible problem is that the local file is more than 30 days old AND your server is blocking connections to the shopdev licencing server for some reason so the local file hasnt been updated within 30 days and the immediate check is also failing.

The skins are fantastic and like you hope this has just been a blip and things will get back to the normal great support soon

Thanks

Ian

Hi Dan

I havent obviously seen the code as implemented by them as it is encoded but they use the same licencing system that we also use and that first tries to use cURL and then will try fsockopen so if the hosting server that you are using are blocking those then that will likely be a problem

Thanks

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I see people writing good things about him and then our own experience is the site doesn't work with the license key we purchased and he can't reply to any of the tickets we've submitted. You'd be pretty annoyed about that. When it's your business and reputation at stake you'd think you'd do something about it.

That's the last time I buy anything from shopdev.co.uk

Understandable, I've been frustrated with 3rd party mods and skins before, it's one of the draw backs of the how the system is, it's often a side job, so prompt turn around of inquiries is fairly rare and people dropping off the face of the earth not uncommon.

Homar is legit, be a shame if he disappeared.

As for your issue, I'm pretty sure Fusion stores the license key inside the php of your site, so it's cc5CubeCart_fusion for me but the prefix will be whatever you entered in the setup.

Try deleting the entry there as a hard reset, might help. 

Edited by Lastwolf

Sorry bro,

I'm pretty sure you can save backups of any configuration work you do in fusion by exporting the config file, I should have remembered that from all the times I've wiped out my own work :/, it's probably better to do it all from scratch anyway, just incase by some miracle something you did caused the error, probably not but you never know.

** UPDATE **

We thought this was sorted on 2nd May, by doing a reset through the database. Yesterday the site disappeared again with just a message saying: "Fusion Framework Required"

I've done a few server checks. Curl and FSockOpen are enabled. There's nothing related to license keys in any error log.

I'm guessing nobody else has heard back from Shop Dev support either?

Does anyone have any sensible suggestions for another skin that won't waste our money / time / patience?

Thanks

Dan

My colleague finally got a response this week apologising as the guy had been very busy and offering a full refund. And some help with how to manage the license key.

Not sure how screwing up someone else's business for several weeks by not responding can be compensated by a vague apology. Like I said before, I won't be using ShopDev in the future.

Mods Index, I will be taking a look at your site, and many thanks for the speedy response.

Dan

I had this problem a few times, Momar did respond eventually - it seems somebody (jollygreenj*ant) had been hijacking my domain, somehow claiming my license as his own.

He was able to hijack my license as I hadnt gone into my shopdev account and 'Locked' my domain - Homar did it in the end but at no point was I told to do this.