Search Partials

Tonyhugs

I use manufactures model numbers like eps23cs , which are sometimes recorded on other sites and literature as eps 23c , eps 23 , eps-23c , eps 23cs etc , but the cc5 search only will hit on a full match as entered .. There are too many products to edit all the entries to include all the possible permutations in the description but , as even eps scores no hits and may discourage potential buyers.. I am sure CC4 would search on 3 characters and give a number of hits, better that than none! Is there a way of implementing something on the lines of an Ebay type search which would provide more hits?

You can use our Suggestive Search module for CC5 that will improve store quick search results by considering certain parameters such as product name, code, description, option attribute, category name & category description.

Welcome Tonyhugs! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

If I recall, CubeCart will split search terms on a comma as well as a space. So eps 23cs might be easily confused as being two search terms - what are ANDed. That is, find products where 'eps' AND '23cs'. The single phrase 'eps23cs' probably won't match.

A search method where, after having entered the first three characters, gives you a flyout of everything that matches those first three characters is a good solution.

I think comparing the search capability of whatever Ebay, Amazon, Google, etc is using to what MySQL can do is a fruitless activity.

So, what we can try to do is maybe adjust how CubeCart performs its search. As written, CubeCart first asks the database to find matches based on "relevance". Relevance may not be what you think it is. MySQL documentation says that if almost all records have "XYZ", then XYZ must not be very relevant. So, it's a weird definition of the word relevant.

If the database returns no hits based on relevance, CubeCart then asks the database for search results based on matching. If "XYZ" can be found as part of "TUVWXYZ", then that is a hit. (Or rather, it should be.) But not "TUVWX-YZ". I have suggested to a few people on these forums to make a small edit to the Cubecart code to switch the order of the search method. A search on these forums may find it.

You may find some interesting clues by looking in admin, Statistics, Search Terms tab.