Google category

SynapseGraphics

hi Dean

No, this feature hasn't been removed but Google have very recently changed how this list can be retrieved. We reported it over the weekend and it has already been fixed for the next release of V5. If you want to patch your site in the meantime, please see https://github.com/cubecart/CubeCart/commit/808d8587319f976dfd4cea595395ce76b302940c

Thanks

Ian

hi Chris

I dont know when the next release will be made available although wouldnt have thought it would be for a few weeks (maybe Al will be along later and might have an idea) but applying the couple of small code changes that are needed to fix this, is very simple - you simply need to make the changes as shown in the github submission which Al kindly gave a screen grab of earlier in this thread

Thanks

Ian

There are a couple ways to do this:

* in your hosting account's Control Panel (cPanel?)

* FTP the file to your machine, edit, FTP back

cPanel (and most hosting account control panels) gives you a set of utilities to manage your space and account. There should be a file explorer and text editor. They are simple to use.

You may wish to install on your own computer a few common developer's tools: an FTP program and a programmer's text editor. For FTP, a couple are free and good: FileZilla, and a Firefox browser addon, FireFTP. You will need to know the FTP login user/pass that you should have been given when subscribing to your account, or look in your control panel for the info. Your hosting control panel will also have a web-based FTP program. For a programmer's text editor, I recommend NotePad++. (If you have a Mac, there is a good free editor, but I don't recall the name.)

• 1 year later...

Hello Cubecarters,

This is an old thread but relevant. 

I added a new product and found that there is a drop down menu for "google category" on the bottom of the new products page, however all other products, made in earlier versions do not have a drop down menu.

Can this be rectified/changed. I am using CC6.0.6.

"made in earlier versions" of what? CubeCart?

The code I see in CC606 makes no distinction when/where a product was made. The Google Category drop-down selector will show at the bottom of the General tab, Miscellaneous section. If CubeCart cannot get a response from Google for the "taxonomy" list, CubeCart shows a regular text entry field.

Hi Brian, thanks for answering promptly. 

The earlier versions of cubecart were CC5.1 and 5.2, I haven't seen this in CC6 until now. Possibly because I have turned on google base as a plugin.

In my CC6.0.6 at the bottom of the General tab, Miscellaneous section, all the older products, which have all the same category, as they are all wine, have a text box only.

This new "wine" entry I mentioned above has the drop down menu.

"If CubeCart cannot get a response from Google for the "taxonomy" list, CubeCart shows a regular text entry field." Can you tell me how this occurs, ie is google using a particular "code" or the "product name" to assess this?

regards Duncan

In the file /admin/sources/products.index.inc.php, near line 779, the following is a simplified rendition of the code:

$google_cats = false;
$response = Make Request for taxonomy list from:
  www.google.com/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.en.txt
  $google_cats = Convert $response string to $response array
Assign $google_cats to template variable

So, the template variable {$GOOGLE_CATS} will either be false or an array. If false, then a text entry field is displayed. If anything other than false (such as an array), a drop-down is selected.

In the process of making a Request, CubeCart checks the cache. If the response to this Request has been cached, use that.

There is no sense as to why the web page would show a text field for one product vs any other product.

Hi Brian,

"CubeCart checks the cache"; Rings Alarm bells.

Al at Cubecart changed the cache times last month when I had an issue with the shopping cart contents.

Even though I cleared the cache today and restarted  my PC the drop down menu only appears now on a few products, so I cut and pasted the correct category into the text boxes. I then did an export of the catalogue via google base and found the text and the drop down catalogue was the same. 

All good.

Many thanks Brian. 

I wonder if any one else sees this issue.? May be Dean at SynapseGraphics.