MySQL - too many connections?

djcaseanova

I just started getting this error this morning. I don't know what's going on, but this is the error message that's coming up. Any ideas?? Is there something that's not closing connections properly?

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (08004/1040): Too many connections in /home/**********/***********.com/store/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 22

Fatal error: Too many connections in /home/********/******.com/store/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 24

I have very little experience with the mysqli database 'class', but I am confident that the class works just as well as the mysql class - closes the connection when it is supposed to.

Each PHP-based "page request" that the web server delivers involves opening and closing a connection to the database: CubeCart, WordPress, BugTracker, and everything else you have on your hosted space that uses the database the hosting account gives you.

So, as usual, I recommend a conversation with your hosting provider to determine:

* which application on your site is using the database the most

* which application is getting an above average page request rate

* if the database connection limits can be adjusted

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. Dreamhost has a tendency to blame 3rd party applications, but come to find out, some of my other domains which do not even have installed applications any longer, are inaccessible to phpmyadmin as well. This may in part have something to do with what happened yesterday with the database problems and my admin login situation! 

This at least gives me hope that the .php file is not the culprit, as it should not effect other domains it's not associated with.

Hi

This is definitely a hosting issue. Dreamhost along with all of the other large budget hosting companies sell hosting packages as cheap as they do because they limit the resources that you can use and then put as many websites on each server as they think they can get away with (and most of the time a lot more than they really should !) - unfortunately with hosting as with most things in life, you get exactly what you pay for - cheap is only better if you dont need many resources and dont really care how your website performs !

Thanks

Ian