CubeCart upgrades overwrite .htaccess file

Hi

It appears that from CubeCart 5.2.7 onwards, the distribution zip file and the auto upgrade process contains a copy of the .htaccess file and so if you have made any changes to this after initial installation (which you should always do to remove possible duplicate content issues due to /index.php and www. and non www. versions of the homepage) then these will be over-written.

If you have upgraded your site since 5.2.7 and had made changes to .htaccess, then you will need to make these changes again

Thanks

Ian

I was very fortunate to still have several old versions saved, so I was able to fix mine. I had redirects in place to keep page rank from going to the www version of our site and special error code pages designed that had to be referenced in .htaccess. I'm sure others have similar modifications they did not realize were gone.

This is most unfortunate! Thank you for bringing it to our attention, though.

I had redirects in place to keep page rank from going to the www version of our site and special error code pages designed that had to be referenced in .htaccess

All websites should choose whether to direct to www or non www urls and keep to that throughout the whole environment. We personally prefer using www. as that is the choice of many large large organisations but as long as you decide and stick to one, I think this is fine.

This is most unfortunate! Thank you for bringing it to our attention, though.

Very welcome !

Thanks

Ian

I've just updated a site to 5.2.12 and it has overwritten the .htaccess file so it doesn't seem to have been corrected and is still happening. Would have thought fixing this would have been a bit of a priority given the consequential impact it can have.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Just to confirm that 5.2.13 had the .htaccess file removed from the distribution .zip file so upgrading from any version to 5.2.13 or later (when any new release is made) will now preserve your changed .htacess file.

However, one other file that is still over written is the robots.txt file. Everyone should be changing this from the default version in the distribution so be aware that this will still be over wriiten and lost when doing an upgrade

Thanks

Ian