Moving Host.

Nik Grey

I am moving from Servage to A2 Hosting.

At the moment I have my nikgrey.com as the root and cjbpphotographic and greyprint as directories - would I benefit from having greyprint as the root or should I leave it as it is? (I am talking about search engine exposure).

The only problem I can see is Servage do not have a way to zip everything into One directory - for A2 to expand on their own servers..hmmm.

Is there anything obvious I have not considered ? keep in mind I do not do this very often - in fact this is the second time I have ever done it.

I'm hoping all of my emails addresses, my special scripts and everything else thats slightly less than normal will continue to work !! time will tell.

Hi Nik

You should really be directing these questions to A2 as you are moving to their hosting. We do the full hosting migration for any customers moving their websites over to us and as we also support the CubeCart installation after the move as part of hosting support, we always ensure everything works as before

A2 are the only ones that know their systems and server setup so are the only ones that can reliably help you

Thanks

Ian

Perhaps both Servage and A2 have FTP servers that conform to "remote to remote" FTP transfers. In this scenario, your FTP client has successfully logged in to both Site-A and Site-B, and issues commands to both the FTP server at Site-A and the FTP server at Site-B. Your FTP client tells Site-B to receive this_file.ext from Site-A.

In this scenario, you have avoided the transfer from Site-A to you, then from you to Site-B. Rather, it's Site-A to Site-B under your local FTP client's control.

The question is: Does Servage and A2 allow their FTP servers to do this?

well, they say without command line access and the ability to compress everything into a single directory they cant help.

I was just tempted by the faster host at the same price as Servage - I'm not interested in spending a fortune on hosting as I am only a 'one man band' so it looks like I am stuck.

Brian, we did do something like this when I was trying to create a mirror site on my own server for a test installation of cubecart - I'm quite shocked that A2 are telling me they cant help - maybe they dont need the business :(

"I'm not interested in spending a fortune on hosting. I'm quite shocked that A2 are telling me they can't help."

Cannot, or will not? I suppose if you subscribe to a $8,000/mo account, they will fly out a personal technician to get you sorted.

I philosophically disagree with the phrase, "You get what you pay for," but then, there is a molecule of truth to it.

Cannot, or will not? I suppose if you subscribe to a $8,000/mo account, they will fly out a personal technician to get you sorted.

I philosophically disagree with the phrase, "You get what you pay for," but then, there is a molecule of truth to it.

Obviously the $8000/mo is tongue in cheek but I also fundamentally disagree - you almost always get what you pay for with hosting. The bigger, cheaper hosting companies do have some economies of scale but mostly they offer cheaper prices because of offering poorer support and what services they are willing to do for you for free, how many sites they stack the server with, the security of the server and your account which is something most dont care about and is our number one priority.

You ALWAYS get what you pay for !

Ian

Is Servage cPanel based? If so you can make a full backup put it in the public_html folder and provide a link to this to A2. The can then import everything at the click of a button as far as I know. I'm not sure if they can do that for you or not though. 

Hmm not sure it is cPanel based actually. 

Edited by Al

No, It's not cPanel based.

I can back up my Joomla sites and of course the Cubecart site so I am not sure why that is not good enough for what they want to do :( The problem is I cant compress everything - seems to me they have intentionally created this environment to trap people there.

This just makes me want to escape even more, I will have to leave it another 6 months as Servage will renew immanently - I will plan it a bit better next time.

Unfortunately the last few days I have spent in bed as I managed to get a bug thats been going around so couldnt put enough time into this - I'm hardly ever ill, but when I am the timing is terrible :(

That did cross my mind, today I am lucky with 3.3mb download and .7 upload.

NikGrey.com: 4,918,571,845 bytes - 36gb

Greyprint: 473,558 bytes - 3.5gb

CjbPhotographic 187 bytes - 1.4gb

It would take me a long time to download the three domains I want to transfer, no idea exactly how long but certainly a long time - and uploading again at this speed would be days.

The databases are not a problem, exporting/importing and config.

I guess this is the reason they wanted everything compressed into One file :(

No SSH with Servage :(

I was talked into using them as originally I was with 1and1 which was overkill for me, and now I am stuck.

But I have 6 months to figure out a way of getting away from it - I will probably have to find a fast connection and use that.

You could ask your friends and acquaintances, one who has a much larger up/down rate than yourself, if they wouldn't mind doing the FTP down/up for you.

But, check to make sure the accounts do not tally FTP transfer against your monthly 'bandwidth' allotment. 36GB is a hefty chuck of bandwidth.

I have asked them if they will compress the directories for me, I did ask before but maybe I will get a different operative this time who might interpret what I asked differently.

As their response before was "We cannot support customers in compressing data in a zip format. Customers should be asked to download their files (data)in uncompressed format from the account manually via FTP."

I will try and slim down some of that data - as I say it is years old and there will be lots I dont need now, mostly things for other people are there - small pages etc which are out of date.

"Please note that we do not support customers in compressing data in a zip format. There is no other option than to download all the data manually via FTP."

They are making it difficult.. Brian's solution is the only way - still thinning out what I have there.