Will changed to product titles alter the url?

lynnmcdee

If I change the product names will this alter the URL?  I have found some 302 redirects, that are redirecting to the homepage.  They are not in the httaccess file and I don't know where else to look. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Supposedly, CubeCart will toss up a dialog window that asks to confirm if the seo_path (the 'friendly' URL) should be updated when the product, category, or a document name has been changed. If there is a value in the Custom SEO Path field found on the Search Engines tab, then that may cause CubeCart to bypass this confirmation.

Regardless if the URL contains anything relevant about the product, category, or document, if there is a match for that content in the database, then that product, category, or document will be shown.

What is the scenario where you are finding 302 redirects?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply.

There has not been a dialog window that asks to confirm if the seo_path should be updated. 

There are current products on the website and there is a slight variation of the url which is 302 redirected to the homepage. 

Current URL: http://www.soledivas.co.uk/evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoes.html

302 URL:  http://www.soledivas.co.uk/evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoe.html     302 redirected to http://www.soledivas.co.uk/index.php

I have no idea how the url has changed or why they are 302 redirected

If you can, look at the contents of the database table CubeCart_seo_paths directly, using phpMyAdmin, for example.

Find the record with the path (or as close as possible):

evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoes

If the value in the 'path' column is exactly that, and NOT:

evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoe

then a URL with the missing 's' at the end will cause CubeCart to 302 redirect to the homepage. A 302 redirect is necessary so that the browser address bar and title won't have this non-existent path in the URL.

I can't know what happened, but it seems to me that something acquired the URL when the path was "...shoe", but the path has since been changed to "...shoes".

What needs to happen is to send a server response code that says:

If "bad...shoe", then 301 "good...shoes"

A 301 says this is a permanent change.

Currently, CubeCart does not have the internal code to manage specific redirects, such as the above. What CubeCart can do is to tell the browser to simply go to this other place. The URL the browser had previously is just a temporary thing.

But, Apache's .htaccess file is used to do the redirects. You can edit the .htaccess file conveniently within CubeCart.

Add this statement at the top:

Redirect 301 /evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoe.html http://www.soledivas.co.uk/evening-shoes/fay-blue-satin-peep-toe-shoes.html

As I mentioned previously, there is this bad URL link out there somewhere. If it's a search engine, it needs to be told that this is a permanent "change" (from your perspective, its a 'correction'), to dump the bad URL and use this good URL.

If and as you catch more 302's of bad paths, you will need to add more statements to the .htaccess file.

Note: It would be interesting if CubeCart, when asking if the SEO Path should be rebuilt or when the Custom SEO Path is changed, would automatically insert a Redirect statement in the .htaccess file.

Hi Brian,

Thank you, that has fixed the problem :)

I completely agree with your comment:

Note: It would be interesting if CubeCart, when asking if the SEO Path should be rebuilt or when the Custom SEO Path is changed, would automatically insert a Redirect statement in the .htaccess file.

You are a star as usual :yeahhh: