Basket error

vidmarc

Cubecart 5.2.2

A customer is experiencing this problem - can anybody help?

The sales basket is not working correctly. When I sign in , the site welcomes me back then when I click onto one of the menus and add items to my basket and go to check out the page then says 'basket empty' and automatically logs me out. I have tried several times to add items to my basket after logging in but your site will not let me buy anything as it keeps saying basket empty when I check out??? and keeps logging me out too???

In my experience, this happens when the session is lost for either of these two scenarios:

* the customer is using an ISP that randomly changes its IP address, or is using a browser that is somehow changing its UA string.

* your store's hosting provider has an internal folder to hold session data and it is bopping up against the maximum amount of content it can hold, or

* your store's database CubeCart_sessions table is intermittently corrupt.

Please view admin, Error Log, System Error Log tab to determine if any entries pertain to sessions.

If not, we may need to start and examine a PHP error_log to determine if any other errors about sessions are getting logged.

* the customer is using an ISP that randomly changes its IP address, or is using a browser that is somehow changing its UA string.

This can happen but is uncommon in most developed countries (we have seen it a lot in countries like Pakistan / India though) unless there is a fault with your ISP and the internet connection is repeatedly dropping and reconnecting - it is also easy to test by checking IP addresses and the error log will be recording possible hijacked sessions due to an an IP address change.

* your store's hosting provider has an internal folder to hold session data and it is bopping up against the maximum amount of content it can hold

This can happen if the /tmp directory on the server is too small either in a pure size or the number of inodes (effectively number of files) it can hold - this would be causing havoc on the server in many other places though.

* your store's database CubeCart_sessions table is intermittently corrupt.

There is no reason for one specific database table to be intermittently corrupted unless the MySQL server is not gracefully shutdown or the MySQL server process or the server itself is seriously struggling / under powered for the number of websites (common on cheaper hosting)

Another possibility that has been discussed on here before is that during the session, the client is switching between using the www and non www versions of the url - it is good practice from an SEO point of view to force the use of one or the other (we always set this up for our clients to use the www. version) and this also stops this problem from happening.

There is also the Cookie Domain setting in the store settings which was added to help with this (although our solution above isa better way of achieving this as it has other benefits) but this was introduced in a version later than what you are on - would strongly suggest you upgrade anyway !

Thanks

Ian

Not sure I understand any of this - what do you suggest I report back to the (so far) lost customer?

It isnt a case of reporting back to the customer (at least not initially) as it isnt their problem, it is about understanding how your CubeCart site and hosting is configured. Do you have an SSL, is it configured correctly in the store settings ? Do you have the correct entries in your .htaccess file to prevent switching between the www and non www forms of the url as either one or both of these will likely be causing this issue.

We have several mods in place so an upgrade will cause havoc with these.

Upgrades are not impossible after changing core code and several members on here do them successfully by knowing or finding out all core file changes via a diff file tool and re-applying them after each upgrade. BUT when CubeCart V5 was written with hooks and code snippets which remove the need to change any core code (if the "mod" is written as a true plugin which unfortunately many people dont bother with or are too lazy !) this situation should never happen. I would not want any site we run or support to be in this situation !

Thanks

Ian

We've decided to remove all mods from the store which are not written as proper plugins.

My next step will be to see which mods we've used, and how they can be replicated via plugins of which there seem to be so few at present.

Can you help with the cart problem this person is encountering?

Also, I am recalling problems like this for no reason (it happens only with one or two customers) other than from questioning the customer, it was determined that the browser being used was Internet Explorer 9/10, maybe 8. I'm not sure if there was a solution.

I concluded there was nothing (technically) wrong with the CubeCart code.

We would ask that you confer with this customer and ask what country (from their address data), ISP (such as AOL), and browser they are using. (This data can be found in your web server logs, if you have access to them, and know the exact time they visited your site.)

I am willing to look at existing logs (or newly created logs) when the suspect customer had/has logged in.