Customer not getting emails

i.ahmed

In our final stages of testing before going live, testing as a customer and having a bad user experience problem.

---------------------

(courtesy of bsmithers)

There are four main statuses of an order:

0. The shopping basket while the customer is shopping.

1. Pending: The customer is at the checkout counter and is ready to make a payment attempt. If payment is approved, then 2. If payment and a digital only order, then also 2D.

2. Processing: The customer has made payment and is waiting for the store to ship the order.

2D. Digital Order: Download links are sent. Automatically moved to 3 but maybe no email.

3. Completed: The store has shipped the order.

As an admin, you will receive an admin email for status 1 or 2 (but not both). As a customer, they will receive an email for 2, 2D, and 3 (maybe).

---------------------

Admin gets email when order is Processing but...

Customer doesn't get any email (2) or (3)

Hi

Have you done an email trace (or asked your hosting company to do one if not available to you) to see whether the email is being sent, delivered or rejected and if so for what reason - there is a huge amount of logging information available for each email that is sent !

Is your "customer" email external to the server that your store is hosted on - there can be issues with some server setups if your store is sending from [email protected] to [email protected] or even to [email protected] if example2.com is also hosted on the same server that example.com is hosted on

Thanks
Ian

Just did an email trace, can see the emails.

Issue was, my "customer" email address, was on the same server. Changed email address, all working fine. Many thanks.

Side (million dollar) question, both emails go in to the Junk, anyway to minimize this over time for our customers?

Just did an email trace, can see the emails.

Issue was, my "customer" email address, was on the same server. Changed email address, all working fine. Many thanks.

That often catches out a lot of people - it *should* work but often server email MTA are not configured correctly which is sounds like is the problem with yours.

Side (million dollar) question, both emails go in to the Junk, anyway to minimize this over time for our customers?

Depends on why it was being flagged as junk - a huge range of issues that could cause that. Ensure you have DKIM and SPF setup as these help but could be specific content or could be the IP reputation of the IP address (or even range) your site is hosted on. You would need to dig deeper into SPAM score for the email

I made some changes to the email Subject to include more specific order information. That seemed to cut down on being marked as Junk/Spam and received more attention from customers.

Some of these may have required core code changes - I had help with them and don't remember now, but they'll give you some ideas, anyway.

Order Confirmation #{$DATA.cart_order_id}    {foreach from=$PRODUCTS item=product} - {$product.name} {/foreach}

Thank you for your payment for Order #{$DATA.cart_order_id}

Shipping Information for  {foreach from=$PRODUCTS item=product} - {$product.name}{/foreach}

Hi

Content can certainly influence whether a message is flagged as spam but other things in hosting / server setup are MUCH more crucial - to add another couple of the two that I have already mentioned, check for a valid HELO and also that you have a rDNS (also known as PTR) record for your domain.

Thanks

Ian

Ok interesting results, which would mean theres a problem with cubecart / config somewhere.

* When I send an email from cpanel > webmail to a hotmail address it goes straight into the inbox.

* When I send the exact same email when the order status hits "processing", it goes in to the junk folder.

- I've stripped the email out from all html, even the billing and shipping details to ensure its the same email (content).

- Deleted the default skin template, removing logo and signature plus container, only keeping the content tag.

Resolved

*update for anyone else having similar issues*

It was my cubecart config, I had filled out the smtp settings in Store Settings > Advanced

but hadn't selected SMTP with SSL via drop down, was using PHP mail function, also my default port is not 25 as stated in this section, had to double check in my cpanel.

Both customer emails going straight into the inbox :)

Hi

Using php mail instead of SMTP is much less likely to result in delivery of emails especially if any of the previous points that I have mentioned are not completed correctly - using SMTP is not guaranteed way to get email delivered,just more likely. In my view everyone should always use SMTP rather than php mail regardless of the indication that php mIl is the default - that is just because it is easier, not because it is better

Filling out the SMTP details and then using php mail makes no difference by the way as they are ignored

Thanks

Ian

previous points that I have mentioned are not completed correctly

Yes I forgot to mention, your previous points of having DKIM and SPF setup were also implemented, so those likely helped in ensuring good email delivery.

Infact if anything the old settings probably caused harm as they were using older IP's as I've just migrated servers therefore the settings were carried over, all corrected now though, thanks.