Good Day,

We are using CC v4.3.8 and we are having issues with our domain name. We should be www.thecanopy.net, however the domain changes to https://donut.securenet-server.net/~thecanop/Welcome/index.phpevery time. We did not opt for masking our domain and I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it. I suppose it's nice that it says "securenet" but we feel like this might make customers hesitant to click our site since it doesn't say thecanopy.net on our search engine results, but rather donut something or other. It's confusing for us, so probably confusing for them as well.

Our current IT Guy has no ideas either and we were hoping you could guide us to an answer or resolution because this issue is way out-of-our-league.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

The Canopy

thecanopy.net

PS- My apologies if this is a repeat issue post, I searched for similar issues but didn't find one that fit the bill. Thank you again for your help.

I assume your IT person has looked at the contents of any .htaccess file that may be present in the document root folder of your site.

The next step is to fully explore the settings of your hosting account's control panel. There may be something happening there.

The last place is to ask if the hosting company has added a statement in the web server's (Apache) configuration file (the vhosts section?)

It's possible the DNS A name or C name records are messed up on the server for your domain, where on many modern servers where there is a shared IP address, one domain is always the "primary" domain for any shared IP. When DNS fails for any other domain, it can sometimes load that default/primary domain (sometimes first one setup for the IP). You can often test this by simply typing in the IP address for your domain and see what comes up. It can also be an issue with domain hijacking of DNS, or bad DNS entry at your domain registrar, where the domain should be pointed at correct name servers for your hosting co., and then DNS entry (A NAME record) on the host server points your domain name at the shared (or dedicated depending on plan), IP address. If any of those elements are borked, you won't get correct site typing in your domain.

If you cloned your install from another site, there will be leftover coding from that other site, obviously, and the rewrite rules in your htaccess file might point there; or if it had been hacked or corrupted.

Sometimes if the host has a disk failure, and they do a backup overnight, the might mess something up - and normally they should tell you of that. Not very common anymore with modern RAID setups, where a bad drive can be swapped without impacting the full dataset.

Not sure that helps. But maybe some extra food for thought.