Vector - Custom Colurs not working.

Nik Grey

Hi All,

It's been a while but I am back, with another odd problem !

People keep telling me that my website is a bit 'Dull' - I have not been able to use 'Custom Colours' for a while ! I can keep changing things in the Fusion Configuration and saving them of course but no changes happen at all :(

It stuck at default which is Dull I admit.

I changed to A2 Hosting a few months ago - that's about the only thing I have changed, I think I was still having this 'Stuck' colour issue before I moved.

I'm talking about this here: www.greyprint.co.uk

I did search the forums but nothing so yet again I fear this is a problem peculiar to only me :(

Does anybody (Brian) have any clues ?

Sometimes the only way to do that in Vector, is to view the page with Chrome's inspector (F12) and then find the CSS class you want to change; then in the main template put the CSS class override into the head area and you might have to put an !important element for the class setting. Likely need to put this "inline style" element as last thing in the head after their dynamic call to the index.php page so that it is read last. I did this for something, but I forget what.

Other option, edit the style CSS file being loaded by the theme (such as the .less files) to replace the actual CSS for the classes you want to change. Since theme likely won't ever be updated, you can get away with hacking the CSS style sheets without fear you would need to change them back later.

Not as elegant as doing something from the "control panel" ... but welcome to hacking CSS :-)

We're moving away from Vector, sadly, due to the fact it won't work with mod_SPDY and the company is pretty much dead, so likely no future use with CC6. (Sigh.)

I don't do the Fusion-encoded skins, so I don't even know what the "control panel" looks like. But I did find a file, /vector/Fusion/settings/default.fusion, which suggests to me that the admin can create a colour/layout scheme and save it as a named configuration, such as "purple_rain". It should then become a selection in the skin selector dropdown in admin, Store Settings, Layout tab. As a programmer, that's how I would do it.

Also as a programmer, I would prohibit the default settings from being changed -- as this would be something stable to fall back to when everything else goes to rubbish. But if that were true, I would also announce a warning that the default settings could not be changed.