USPS Shipping Plugin Questions

Big Spender

I am attempting to setup the USPS shipping plugin but I don't have much experience of this method so if anyone can offer any input or advice that would be much appreciated: -

The shipping plugin has a setting for 1 parcel size.

Does this only allow shipping calculations based off of this 1 parcel size? I cannot see a way to do this on a per-item level and then at checkout calculating the combined sizes to produce an overall volume/shipping cost for the order?

Has anyone any solutions for this, maybe an after market plugin or through duplicating the gateway?

I use USPS exclusively, but it's not usual for anyone to order more than one item at a time from us. The main thing to be concerned about on individual items is that the box it would need to be shipped in should not exceed 12 inches on any side. I deal with those few items by upping the stated shipping weight to deal with the oversize charge and noting in the description that this item will require a USPS size surcharge. If ALL your items ship in oversized packaging, that can be set in the USPS Admin.

With the exception of oversized, you should be OK if you have chosen appropriate delivery choices from the long list of possibilities.