Admin Login is Slow and Site Error: Lost connection to MySQL server at

Antonw.com

Hi,

So recently the admin login for my store have been really slow. It can cake 30sec to a min to login.
Then I also started to get this error on the frontpage:
Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/2013): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet', system error: 104 in mywebsite/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 22

The host told me I have to upgrade my server.

I have about 30.000 daily hits and 700mb bandwidth on a currently run on:
Total processors: 2 Intel® Xeon® CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz
Mem: total: 1914332 used: 1897316 

Does anyone know if this error and slow login is simply due to the hosting and I need a better server?

I been running the site for some time, should clear up any data in order to make the admin login work faster?
Thanks!

Hi,

So recently the admin login for my store have been really slow. It can cake 30sec to a min to login.

Then I also started to get this error on the frontpage:Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (HY000/2013): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet', system error: 104 in mywebsite/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 22

Slow website responses and slow admin login times can be down to an overloaded server although there are plenty of other causes as well. However the "Lost connection to MySQL server" if it is seen regularly, is almost always caused by an overloaded server

The host told me I have to upgrade my server.I have about 30.000 daily hits and 700mb bandwidth on a currently run on:Total processors: 2 Intel® Xeon® CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz

Mem: total: 1914332 used: 1897316 Does anyone know if this error and slow login is simply due to the hosting and I need a better server?

Is this a dedicated server or a VPS ? Either way, 2GB of RAM is borderline for any sort of server but there could be any number of other issues especially if you havent tuned the MySQL (and other areas) configuration

Thanks

Ian

Thank you very much for the rapid reply guys, very much appreciated.

Ian, I have a Cloud Servers - Webmaster Cloud v2

And had 23 625.06 M bandwidth usage last month.

Server load 0.87 (2 CPUs)   Memory Used 61.5% (1,177,328 of 1,914,332)   Swap Used 0% (0 of 1)

bsmither, do you know where in the WHM I can see the frequency?
The storefront customer login (when it's not down due to the mysql error) seem to work fine. But the admin is always slow.

And had 23 625.06 M bandwidth usage last month.

23 GB of bandwidth usage isn't a lot and in my opinion doesnt justify using what appears to be a VPS with border line specification and as I said previously, unless you have tuned Apache and certainly the MySQL configuration you are likely to have problems.

Server load 0.87 (2 CPUs)   Memory Used 61.5% (1,177,328 of 1,914,332)   Swap Used 0% (0 of 1)

The storefront customer login (when it's not down due to the mysql error) seem to work fine. But the admin is always slow.

You dont say what version of CubeCart you are running or what your store url is (you can PM it if you wish) but those figures are only a snapshot at that point in time and unless you have historical monitoring on the server resources it is going to be almost impossible to determine the exact reason but can pretty confidentially say it is due to lack of resources

Ian

Thank you for the reply Ian.

I have a quiet a few scripts hosted on the same server so that probably add to the workload i guess.
I'm on v 5.2.10

Your probably right about the server getting overloaded when the bandwidth peaks. The admin login is only slow from time to time.
I will deferentially consider your hosting plans!

Thanks.