Ukraine crime folk testing valid card numbers on CC store

SimChris

Hi folks

we've had this happen couple of times over past few years with CC, which appears to be a little bit of a target for this activity since there is no option built in to block account signup/carts based on IP lookup (CC is not the only cart so 'afflicted' but many other cart systems have a way to block this behavior; even my WordPress installs have a way to block this with plugin).

Today we had a Ukraine outfit running over 100 stolen MasterCard numbers to help determine which ones were "usable" ... and they did find one.

Luckily we sell services, not downloads or anything else, so I double check all orders personally out of paranoia. Nothing they can do on our system once they "make it through" with valid card pass.

We had to manually block their IP range via the server side firewall, for this entire range in the Ukraine:

77.52.0.0/18

This kind of thing typically seems to happen around holidays (happened 2 years ago at this time), and all the stolen cards are MasterCard numbers.

Thought I'd share this with anybody else who generally runs in "paranoia" mode this time of the year.

Happy Holidays!