Push notifications for Cubecart orders - a solution

disco_ii_disco

Have been asking for a lot of help recently with various issues - now time to give something back!!

On my old Cubecart 4 store, I got push notifications to my phone by signing up with Pushover (for literally a couple of quid) and then doing a bcc on the order processing e-mail to a special pushover e-mail address.

For my new Cubecart 5 store I have a slightly more elegant solution which sends order values to my phone.

I added this code to class/order.class.php around line 250 (after the order confirmation e-mail has been sent to customer):

//CHRIS EDIT - Pushover notifications
          curl_setopt_array($ch = curl_init(), array(
            CURLOPT_URL => "https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json",
            CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS => array(
              "token" => "YOURPUSHOVERTOKEN",
              "user" => "YOURPUSHOVERUSERID",
              "message" => "Order: ".$this->_order_summary['total'].". Customer: ".$this->_order_summary['last_name'].". Postcode: ".$this->_order_summary['postcode_d'],
            ),
            CURLOPT_SAFE_UPLOAD => true,
          ));
          curl_exec($ch);
          curl_close($ch);
          //END CHRIS EDIT 

.. and it worked first time!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for your contribution and it is good that more people are offering things back ! It may be useful for some people especially as the service is a one-off cost for the app and then receiving notifications are free, subject to monthly limits, but a couple of points to note :

1) As you are changing a core CubeCart file, changes will be lost / need re-doing after each upgrade. I haven't looked to see whether it would be possible using hooks but that would prevent this.

2) As the recommended php code for this service uses the php curl_exec() function, many people will find that this will not work on their hosting as that function is usually disabled especially on shared hosting systems. This function, along with a handful of others, is always disabled on all our shared hosting servers - in fact, I would be very wary of hosting a site on a shared hosting server that allowed those functions

Thanks

Ian

Brilliant. Would be a great feature to be built in to Cubecart,

It saves me so much time. I no longer have to keep checking the order screen for new orders, I get a simple "ping" on my phone.

You can set quiet times too - so you don't get the notifications during the evening or on days off.

Keep up the good work!