Canonical tags

Ms Holly

I have products that are very similar that I want to list as seperate products and do not want to write totally different products descriptions for or link them to another page. Is there an easy way to do canoncial tags to product listings in cube cart 5.

I could add them to the html in product listing description but this will end up in the middle of the html so Im not sure it would be effective.

"Is there an easy way to do canonical tags to product listings."

The latest versions of CubeCart automatically make <meta canonical> tags based on the search-engine-friendly phrase ('sef') you provide when editing the product details. If you do not have "Search Engine Optimization" enabled in Store Settings, the canonical URL takes the form of the standard product URL. If you do not specify a 'sef' phrase, CubeCart will create one automatically from the name(s) of the category plus the name of the product.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the source code of my product pages following an error message from Bing webmasters and find that all my product pages contain the same canonical link

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.wildwarehouse.com/index.php?_a=product">

as I have not specified this myself I assume it has happened automatically, how can I correct this and prevent it from happening again.

I am currently using version 5.2.14

The ?_a=product (or category or document) is is a known bug, fixed in CC5215.

In the file /classes/gui.class.php, near line 217 (CC5214):

Was:
$GLOBALS['smarty']->assign('CANONICAL', currentPage(true, null, false));

Now:
$GLOBALS['smarty']->assign('CANONICAL', currentPage(false, null, false));

• 9 months later...

So cubecart automatically does canonical url with the seo frienly urls how about if I have two very similar products that I want google to direct to the one link  using rel="canonical". Is there somewhere I can put this line?

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Holly