Issues upgrading from V3 to V6

Hi Everyone, im new to the forum so hoping expand my very limited knowledge of the CC software and how to change and modify to suit my needs.

Until recently I have been running Cube Cart version 3. I had been avoiding upgrading because to be honest it kind of overwhelms me a tad.

This arvo I bit the bullet and downloaded Version 6.

After downloading I manually uploaded the files to the server because I had been having issues with the upgrade function within the admin panel of the shop.

After uploading I loaded the admin panel page and attempted to log in, it wouldn't let me so I went into my server's cpanel and updated the password for the SQL Database user and attempted to log in again. When i went back to the page and entered the log in and tried to load the page a white page with the following message came up.

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'xwdcent_ccrt1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/xwdcent/public_html/shop/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 28

Fatal error: Access denied for user 'xwdcent_ccrt1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/xwdcent/public_html/shop/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 30

I went to that file in the server and it makes not sense to me, I dont know what code I am supposed to change and have no idea what to do to fix it. Please help!!

Thanks Matt

Remember that this is still beta and shouldn't really be used on live sites ! The above link details the correct way to do an upgrade and then the database connection should not need to have been changed and would have just worked. However, getting the database connection sorted out isnt a big thing

Ian

Hi Ian, So I would be better installing V5 then?

Yes definitely - V6 is still beta and while the code base hasnt changed a lot from V5, there have still been a few issues with it so going V5 and then upgrading to V6 in maybe a few weeks would be my suggestion.

v5 is v. stable, working and good, and everything will be compatible with v6 when it is released fully. v6 is in beta and only has been that way for a few days, I wouldn't upgrade for a live store until it launches outside beta and even then i'd probably give it a few months! :rolleyes:

Exactly although as V6 isnt a huge change from V5, it wont need to be a few months

Ian

So if I have installed all the V6 files on my server, can I just upload the V5 files and run setup?

I wouldnt simply upload V5 over the top of where you are now, although you have a couple of options and which way you go is personal to your situation

If you have a backup pre V3 to V6 upgrade, then you could restore that and then upgrade to V5 latest. That is safest.

If you dont mind working through the various issues with V6 which will hopefully be mostly fixed within a few days / weeks at most, and then if your site isnt massively busy (when running a beta version is more risky) then you could stay with V6 and tough it out.

The initial database connectivity issues from you OP are not a function of V5 / V6 though and if you still havent sorted them out need fixing separately

Thanks

Ian

Ok, I restored the files on my server to the V3 files, still couldn't get the page to load, it was showing the same message on the screen again.

I loaded he V5 files to the server and went to the setup URL which worked fine, I followed the steps, then it go to the page where it showed all the files down the left with writable next to all of them in the right column and I clicked continue and it came up with the page cannot be displayed page and it wont load the setup URL again.

Im completely lost

I've decided to scrap the old store and start fresh, a lot of the products I sold before I don't stock anymore and a lot of work needed doing updating the old products and removing the ones I don't stock anymore so I've uploaded a new store from scratch and removed the old one. I can now build up he store with the new products and customize it to my liking.

Thanks for all the help.