Cleaning up files after upgrade

I am just doing some work clean up on a CubeCart v5 websites FTP which has been upgraded various times to v5.2.14, what I am noticing is that there are files which must have been removed as CubeCart has grown which remain on the FTP server, e.g.

/ioncube/

/includes/deprecated.inc.php

I am trying to tidy things up and want to remove things like this, the problem is, how do I know what can be deleted or not - I do not know whether some of these files that don't exist in the CubeCart release which are on the live website aren't just generated by CubeCart after install?

What do you guys do for this type of issue? Or do you just leave them on the server forever...? :/

I am unsure how other software works but shouldn't the install remove things that are no longer needed?

Maybe it does and these folders/files I am seeing are just generated? Therefore great but I am not so sure.

Thanks,

deprecated.php can be removed.

/ioncube/ need not necessarily be removed as plugins for CC5 may still need ionCube even though CC5216 does not anymore. Should your hosting provider not provide ionCube as a server-level extension to your installation of PHP, you can create your own PHP.INI file and load the extension from having downloaded it to /ioncube/.

Even though as CubeCart advances in version, and gateway, shipping, and other modules come and go in the core package, new files/folders are added and existing files are overwritten, there is no concrete need to remove any specific file/folder that I have found.

Should your hosting provider not provide ionCube as a server-level extension to your installation of PHP, you can create your own PHP.INI file and load the extension from having downloaded it to /ioncube/.

I would go further and say you should not host your CubeCart website with a company that doesnt natively support ionCube. Even though this is becoming less important now that CubeCart core doesnt need it, there are a very large number of skins and plugins that will still need ionCube. Any hosting company serious about security of your website (and actually most companies only care about server level security and dont care about individual website security) would disable the ability to run local php.ini files

Even though as CubeCart advances in version, and gateway, shipping, and other modules come and go in the core package, new files/folders are added and existing files are overwritten, there is no concrete need to remove any specific file/folder that I have found.

I would also disagree with this, you should always remove every single file, skin and module that isnt being used whether this is due to it no longer being used in core or because you dont use that gateway, skin, plugin etc. The number of sites that we see get hacked (on other hosting companies) due to old code that isnt updated or worse still, old versions that were copied when doing an upgrade and five or ten years later (as I saw today on one site with code from 2005 full of security holes) it is still there.

Ian