no email sent until order status changed to order complete

Frank Auffret

No.

There should be an email sent when Pending or Processing (Store Setting) to the store's general email address and any/each admin profile that has notices enabled, and an email sent to the Customer when Processing and when Complete.

However, there is some incomplete logic in the POF. I thought that this got fixed lately.

In the POF control panel, there is a setting, "Send Order Confirmation Email?" that may apply. If enabled, an email should be sent to the customer when the order starts at Pending.

But I see no code that sends an email to the admin. That action happens in the code that manages the order's status when the gateway module informs that code to set the order to Processing (payment good) or Pending (payment bad).

OK I changed the print order form (POF) setting to 'send mail' and received the customer confirmation OK

I also changed the administrators setting to 'Receive order notifications' but no admin emails arrived until I changed the order status to 'completed' then I received an admin email on both the store email and the administrator email.

Previous versions used to send an admin email when the order was made even if payment failed. That I thought was good as it gave the store owner the option of calling the customer and asking if they wanted to pay by alternative means.

Edited to add
Just set up card capture with 'send confirmation email' enabled - again received customer copy OK but didn't receive an admin email until after the order status was changed.

With Card Capture the order status is only ever changed by the store administrator when processing the order so the admin email is only send after the order has been processed - that's not a lot of use.

Am I correct to assume that if using a payment gateway like Worldpay or Paypal the external process sends the payment status back to the site which changes the order status and sends the admin emails?

There should be an email sent when Pending or Processing (Store Setting) to the store's general email address and any/each admin profile that has notices enabled, and an email sent to the Customer when Processing and when Complete.

However, there is some incomplete logic in the POF. I thought that this got fixed lately.

As Brian has said, admin users should receive an order confirmation either when orders are at Pending or Processing stage based on the store setting

Just set up card capture with 'send confirmation email' enabled - again received customer copy OK but didn't receive an admin email until after the order status was changed.

With Card Capture the order status is only ever changed by the store administrator when processing the order so the admin email is only send after the order has been processed - that's not a lot of use.

For Card Capture (you do know that the PCI requirements for using this are considerably higher than using any other payment method and generally this shouldnt be used by most merchants !), I agree that sending the admin order notification only makes sense at Pending status. You should log this as an issue.

Am I correct to assume that if using a payment gateway like Worldpay or Paypal the external process sends the payment status back to the site which changes the order status and sends the admin emails?

Yes that is correct, external third party payment gateways like these and most others will send a communication back to the store confirming whether a payment has been successful or nor.

Ian

Older versions used to send admin email before the payment option was completed. I know some store managers didn't like that but I have two customers who use print order form as an alternative payment option so now they don't get any order notifications unless they log in to admin and change the order status manually.

I have reported this as an issue.

Thanks for your contributions

• 6 years later...

this problem still seems to exist. I an using php mail function and no emails are sent to customer at any stage from processing to complete. If I run a test function then it comes through to the email address I have set up in the advanced settings function. the only way we can identify a sale is by looking at orders or noting we have a paypal entry. I don't think I have done anything and the moving of the program to v6 was done by Al. Anyone out there with the same problem and a possible solution I would be grateful