Contact form not sending to store email

Big Spender

Latest v5

I have a problem with either the contact form or the server setup.

Store email is [email protected]

The contact form therefore sends an email to and from [email protected]

The emails don't deliver, If I try any other @mydomain.com email address these do not deliver either.

If I try it to any other email other than @mydomain.com it delivers.

The @mydomain.com mail service is hosted by 123-reg.

Maybe the hosting has a local mail exchanger enabled and we need to switch to remote? Any hints?

Havenswift Hosting has commented a few times that some servers have difficulties sending to the From: domain. There may be complications if the mail server and web application sits on the same server -- I don't recall if Havenswift Hosting made that clear.

Who hosts the mydomain.com web site?

Havenswift Hosting has commented a few times that some servers have difficulties sending to the From: domain. There may be complications if the mail server and web application sits on the same server -- I don't recall if Havenswift Hosting made that clear.

We have seen this with some but not all 123-reg hosted stores before as well as other hosting companies and is down to the configuration of the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent, so effectively the mail server) and isnt really anything to do with which server is hosting the application as that simply makes a connection to your specified mail server.

It will affect not just sending email from an address @mydomain.com to any other address @mydomain.com but will often stop email being sent to any other email address hosted on the same server

Ian

I think we can safely say that CubeCart is pushing out the emails. You do get the emails under certain circumstances.

Therefore, these emails will need to be sitting in a queue somewhere, eventually to be delivered out to be on their way.

Somewhere there exists this queue. When I have had FTP access to some accounts, I have seen mail folders that can be accessed from the very 'root' folder of your account -- the level of folders where you see the /html_docs/ (or similarly named) folder.

You might also have some kind of access through the account control panel to check emails for this domain.

Try to find the queue and see if the Contact Form emails are piling up.

Okay thanks - so my query should be pointed at 123-reg support? We have already discussed this with them just returning to say that 'everything is fine' on their end.

Unfortunately this is a typical response. The emails are being sent to all customers so logically they will be being sent to the admin email address as well. Big hosting companies dont know and dont really care about applications.

Therefore, these emails will need to be sitting in a queue somewhere, eventually to be delivered out to be on their way.

Somewhere there exists this queue. When I have had FTP access to some accounts, I have seen mail folders that can be accessed from the very 'root' folder of your account -- the level of folders where you see the /html_docs/ (or similarly named) folder.

You might also have some kind of access through the account control panel to check emails for this domain.

Try to find the queue and see if the Contact Form emails are piling up.

It isnt as simple as this ! The emails will almost certainly not be visible in the account level folders and may not even exist at all in any "queue" any longer but if what is happening is what we have seen before there will be server level (exim MTA) logs that have details but whether their support staff will find them if they think that "everything is OK" is another matter

Ian

Any further help on this would be appreciated, here is a live chat conversation I have had with 123-reg today:

------------------

User (14:20): Hi,
123-Reg (14:20): Good afternoon, I'm 123-Reg from 123-reg support team. How may I help you today?
User (14:21): I have an issue in that any @mydomain.co.uk emails sent from my website automatically (e.g. order emails, etc) aren't being delivered. I have done some research on this but it maybe easier for you to understand this by reading this thread: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>
User (14:22): the jist of the issue is that emails sent from @mydomain.co.uk aren't being received to @mydomain.co.uk
123-Reg (14:24): Please allow me a few moments as I am looking into this for you.
123-Reg (14:28): Can you please advise if you experience any issues while sending emails via the webmail service here: https://webmail.123-reg.co.uk/login/
User (14:30): no thats fine, sending and recieving to/from via the mail server isn't the issue, the issue is when an email is sent from the @mydomain.co.uk domain name on another server and is being recieved by @mydomain.co.uk on your server, at that point it is not being received.
123-Reg (14:31): My question is if you experience any issues while sending emails to [email protected] for example.
123-Reg (14:31): Not straight to your website.
User (14:32): no from/to own mail server is okay
123-Reg (14:33): On the start of the chat you have mentioned that you experience issues while sending emails from your website.
123-Reg (14:34): My question is if you send emails from webmail (our platform and not through your website) do you experience any issues?
123-Reg (14:34): you receive a bounce back message?
User (14:34): no
123-Reg (14:37): In this case, can you please elaborate a little your query for example when you say your server, where exactly do you log in to send emails?
User (14:40): I don't, an example would be if someone fills out a contact form on my website, that contact form then sends an email with the information filled in from [email protected] to my email (which we have tested to send to [email protected] or [email protected]), that email isn't being received. If we change the email in that form to send to any other email address it works fine, it only does not work when it is a @mydomain.co.uk address, therefore I believe that email is being blocked on your end
123-Reg (14:46): I see. Let me try and send a test email to [email protected] and see if you receive it.
User (14:47): we will, its purely when sent from a server which is using [email protected] as a sending address
User (14:47): that the issue occurs
123-Reg (14:48): I see. In this case, I will send the test email to [email protected] from the webmail service and this way we can check if all is in order with the email service.
User (14:53): we already know that works, thats all fine. Again, the issue is when a server (not a 123-reg server) sends an email with the sending email as an @mydomain.co.uk address, when that email gets to the 123-reg mail server, it doesn't receive. So to test this you would need to fill out the form @ http://www.mydomain.co.uk/contact-us.htmlwhich in turn emails (or should email) those details to [email protected] from an @mydomain.co.uk address
123-Reg (14:57): On our end I can only provide you with the settings that need to be added to your website:
123-Reg (14:57): incoming email server: imap.123-reg.co.uk
incoming server secure/SSL option: ON
incoming server port number: 993
incoming server authentication: ON
incoming server login name: your email address
incoming server password: your mailbox password
authentication type: password/plain
outgoing email server: smtp.123-reg.co.uk
outgoing server secure/SSL option: ON
outgoing port number: 465
outgoing server authentication: ON
outgoing server login name: your email address
outgoing server password: your mailbox password
authentication type: password/plain
123-Reg (14:57): Your domain is pointing to the IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx therefore the best option would be contacting the hosting provider to check if the form is fine on their end.
User (14:58): we know the form is fine, as it sends to every email address in the world except to @mydomain.co.uk
123-Reg (14:59): Have you tried sending an email from a gmail account for example or yahoo to [email protected] (not through the website - straight from your email).
User (14:59): Yes thats fine, again thats not my issue
123-Reg (15:01): So you can send emails to this address without any issues. The only issue you are experiencing is through the form that you have on your website. Is this correct?

------------------

One thing I have noticed here is that my CC settings are using phpMail, should I change to something else? As far as the logs are concerned what files should I be looking for on the server? I have FTP/cPanel access.

Hi

Didnt get too far with them did you - kept asking you questions totally unrelated to the actual problem !

Just to clarify, it looks like from this exchange, that you are using an email service from 123-reg that is different from your web hosting (makes it difficult when specific domains and details arent given !) and specific reason for this ?

If you are using PHP mail() then definitely try SMTP - this should always be used as the preferred transport method as it is far superior - it may or may not solve the problem but if it doesnt you wont have access to server logs

Ian