Foundation Skin

bsmither

FYI: You can use the CC6 Foundation skin on CC5.

I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere.

Sure, Foundation still needs some tweaking to the 'responsiveness' as to how/when the layout changes. And any feature of the skin that CC5 is not aware of won't be utilized.

Keep in mind that CC6 is basically the next bug-fix version of CC5 with some optimizations and a few more features.

Hi Brian

That is a good point and as you said, one not made before. However, as you have pointed out, initial betas of V6 were not that different from V5 except for bug fixes and some small additional features so why would the vast majority of people not look to upgrade when V6 is out of beta ? Any new features are only being added to V6 so all V5 users should be planning on upgrading in the near future

Ian

"why would the vast majority of people not look to upgrade when V6 is out of beta?"

I know, and you know, and I know you know, and you know I know, and....

Well, there are stores that are incredibly customized (namely, the controller code) that would be somewhat to very difficult or impossible to figure out how to patch up the code to get to CC6 equivalency. Thus, that store will run whatever version of CC5 it is currently running for many, many more months. (I still run Windows XP because upgrading would take about 200 man-hours.)

But if getting a starting-point replacement for the Fusion-based skins is do-able, and less man-hours to make Foundation fit the store than the man-hours at patching the core code, I say hooray!

I've spent the last few days trying to merge my core edits from v5.2.15 to 6.0.0b4. I'm pretty good about commenting all my core edits, but that doesn't mean I know how to carry the purpose of the v5 edits over to v6 - or even know if they're needed anymore. I just got through going back to clean v6. Extremely frustrating.

I've spent the last few days trying to merge my core edits from v5.2.15 to 6.0.0b4. I'm pretty good about commenting all my core edits, but that doesn't mean I know how to carry the purpose of the v5 edits over to v6 - or even know if they're needed anymore.

Currently there is not a huge amount of extra functionality in V6 compared to V5 although that is changing on a daily basis (thanks to Al !) so if you feel you really need these code edits then they probably can be applied although without knowing what they all are it is impossible to say.

However as organised as you appear to be, this highlights the ongoing problems of making any code edits to core files and especially the number I suspect you have made. It has always got to be better to use standard code and then use true plugins when you want extra or changed functionality - V5 was specifically rewritten in the way it was to help stop people getting into this sort of mess where they were almost forced to stay on the version they were on

Ian