Filemanager question about image folders

Dirty Butter

At one time CC didn't handle images in folders very well, so I've always kept mine in the main source folder. But now I have 6k image files. Currently using 5.2.16 for live store. Is it currently safe to move images to folders? If so, how should I go about doing it - from within Filemanager, or create folders and move images via FTP?

Use Filemanager, that way the database is in sync with the location of the files.

On the other hand, you can FTP images and use the Image Filemanager, Update File List tab. I do not have a solid experiment that shows the images' file_id in the CubeCart_filemanager table is maintained.

Let me try an experiment and I'll be back.

Do not do the FTP and Update File List method. It will break the associations the Filemanager has with the products.

The database table CubeCart_image_index glues together the Inventory product_id with the Filemanager file_id. After (FTP) moving the images and updating the file list, the Filemanger has given all the images new file_ids but did not change anything else.

Trying to understand how images are associated with products.

I have a customer who accidently managed to delete all product images (no idea how) I re-installed them from backup and ran a database backup too. The images appeared in the admin images list after I ran update files list but all associations with the products are missing.

I checked the image_index table and file associations seem to be intact - yet the products have no associated images.

Is there something else I can do?

UPDATED to say
DB filemanager file_id seems to have been re-numbered as file_ids no longer match those in the images_index table

Can this be fixed or is it a manual labour job going through each product

Edited by Frank Auffret

Going through each product will work, of course.

If, and it's a big if, the names of the images are easily identifiable as associated with the product, then using a database utility where making changes directly to the image_index table can be done, will probably be faster.

A product's product code (DSS-16) with image names of dss-16-a, dss-16-b, etc. That should make it easy to find the product_id in the image_index table and update the file_id found in the filemanger table.

Or, find a backup of the filemanager table.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for resurecting this post, but just to confirm the first part of this question, I have several thousand images on v 6.05 and they are all organised in folders (by manufacturer names) and it all works fine. It would be unmanageable if they were all in the root folder.

No need to apologize for commenting on an old thread. Makes more sense to me than creating a new thread for the same topic.

I'm gradually moving my images into folders one at a time via FileManager. It's tedious to say the least. I have opened a GitHub ticket to provide for uploading images from the Add Product Image tab straight into the correct folder.

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/510

HOLD YOUR HORSES!! I spoke too soon.

I just found an issue with the file list update feature. I realised that it is not adding ALL of the images to the filemanager! I have 19,000 images. I can see that images that are there and are fine, are not being added when updating the file list. I have only 9000 in the filemanager table, so it is doing about half of them!

I have attached a screenshot - on the right is the FTP view, I can see the 4 files ending 452xxx and on the right you can see there are only 2 in filemanager. I do not know if it is because I have so many, or because I am using folders or what.

Also, you could just move the files using FTP, and then update the file list, but backup first in case you have the issue that bsmither mentioned!

Also, you can upload into a folder from Images, rather than on the product itself.

But basically, it seems that there are major issues with the filemanager, I may need to see if I can update the table directly myself, since CC is not doing a good job of it.

filemanagerPNG.PNG

Edited by bobdonkey

OK been messing with this a bit more. Personally I have found:

- Adding files in bulk via FTP is OK, but you have to click on 'update file list' when done, which bsmithers does not recommend. However I have not had issues with this so far.

- But, only about 50% of the images are added. Therefore, when done, I have to add each missing image invividually using admin, and then they are added to the file list.

So I am having to manually correct products on my site using this method. Seems to be working OK so far. I have no idea if it is because I have a lot of images, or if they are in folders, or what. But when update file list misses items, they are added fine to the database when adding them individually.

FYI - this may or may not be pertinent, but a recent upgrade of v6 took the images folders out of the backup routine, because the routine was timing out for people like us with lots of images. Which makes me wonder if the Filemanager's issue with correctly ftp'ing some images, but not all, is a time problem.

I am not sure it is, I have a test server and have found that it misses the exact same images from that environment as well. I don't think that it is to do with the images either, as some of them are identical to other ones which are added, they just have a different name.

hello, I allow myself to write my experience. I use version 6.5 and I put the images via ftp I subfolder 25 attorneys in the Pictures folder sources and 9222 and I have no image problem. I always like that.
I then sent via ftp in the administration, I picture manager, images, to update the list of files, he said ok and after I saved.
and when I add a product. I have my images.