Cached Skin Templates

bsmither

For the longest time, I have been advising store owners who are developing/editing a skin to disable the cache.

By disabling the cache, I was implying that Smarty (the template rendering engine) would not use the cache even though rendered templates were being put in the cache. Smarty would be told, or otherwise determine, to not use the cache.

Recently, I had occasion to test something. My discovery suggests that, at least with CC5213 and CC5216, Smarty will use the cache regardless of the admin setting. (CubeCart will honor the setting when using the cache for SQL queries and other purposes.)

So, if Smarty is not being told to not use a cache, how does Smarty know if a template has changed? And why do some people have issues with an edited skin template not showing those changes on the page request?

After my recent experiments, I really do not know.

But looking for the code where the admin setting is tested by Smarty, or a Smarty setting is changed to be in sync with the admin setting, I cannot find it.