Creating Gift Certificates

tvgadmin

I'm trying to see if there is a way to create a gift certificate. The store settings gives me the option to purchase one, but I want to be able to just create them myself as well. I've looked in the database with no real solution, seems like all it shows is the same thing as my public html folder does...

Any ideas? 

To "design" a Gift Certificate, in admin, Gift Certificates, enable the status.

Assign a minimum and maximum value if desired, and enter the number of months the Certificate is valid. Note: some legal jurisdictions have laws that disallow a GC from expiring, as these instruments constitute "real money". Fill in the rest of the fields.

Click the Images tab and choose/upload a graphic you want to appear on the Certificate. (Although I'm not sure where it will appear.)

Click Save.

A GC is treated mostly like a regular item in your shopping cart.

In Email Templates, click the flag of the language the store is using for Cart: Gift Certificate. Click the HTML tab. Correct the spelling for "To reedeem this gift certificate...".

The coupon can be constructed as a percentage or fixed amount of a discount. The discount can apply to specific product, be disallowed on specific products, or applied generally. The coupon can be applied to just the products, or include the shipping. Taxes should be affected.

The customer does not have the freedom to declare that only x-amount of the discount would be consumed off the coupon. Therefore, since the "coupon/discount" is not associated with any particular customer (I have yet to confirm this with CC6, but is true with CC5), no customer can acquire/retain a balance of a coupon.

This is not true of a Gift Certificate. However, I am trying find where the balance of a GC is maintained. I can't find it just now, but I'm sure it is logged somewhere.

File?

CubeCart does not make a file of a certificate to be printed. Which makes it strange that the admin GC page let's you upload an image. CubeCart makes an email that contains the "code" to use when redeeming the GC.

The admin knows what the code is (as the admin made that code when making the GC), so when the store owner is using a graphics design program to make the GC, the code can be provided in the design.

I found a number of nice image backgrounds (Google) to make GC cards using Word or some other graphics program.

The image is used in the shopping cart, that's about the only place I've seen it. I'm not trying to design them. I meant file as the directory or file to create/edit the file. Thought maybe since one hasn't been created yet, there is nowhere to find them in the files.

It sounds like what you really want is to be able to apply credit to a specific customers account. Any future orders they make will use the available credit and charge the customer the balance.

I assume for your accounts  you would also want the ability to see the transaction history, like a bank statement.

This sounds like a fun project :)

Can you confirm that is what you are looking for?

Noodleman – That actually sounds interesting to, however that’s not what I’m trying to do.

I want a way to predefine prices for specific codes or batch of codes. Like your software, it creates the codes (which is amazing by the way), I want a way to put a price on them without them being “purchasedâ€. That way I can hand them out for like drawings and/or promotions to either new or existing clients and they will work within my store.

Ah, I know what you mean.

You can do that using "Coupons". You can manually create coupons with specific codes. Set the discount type to be "Fixed Price Discount" and set the discount value to be whatever value you want for that code.

You can also define the total number of times a voucher can be used as well as expiation dates.

If you want to create lots of coupons then it could take a while. An import function for coupons would be useful.

Will a coupon hold a balance? Say the coupon is $100 off and they only spend $40. Would it hold the other $60 or would they lose it?

Cause any other "coupon" I've seen is either all or nothing which isn't what I'm wanting to do

Coupons won't work with what I'm trying to do. That's why I need gift certificates.

A coupon is the same thing as a gift certificate, at least in the way that they function. A coupon and gift certificate both allow the customer to use a code to apply a discount.

A gift certificate can be purchased directly through the store by customers, they can then "gift" that to friends, family etc.

A coupon is manually created by the admin with a specific code, discount value etc. It does not require the customer to purchase it.

The behaviour I described above matches your description

"I want a way to put a price on them without them being “purchasedâ€. That way I can hand them out for like drawings and/or promotions to either new or existing clients and they will work within my store."

You can create coupons in advance of an event and hand them out. It just might take a while to create a whole bunch of them manually, but if you want hundreds or even thousands I can probably help you populate your database with a load of coupons. It won't take long to do..

Right, however I have never seen any coupons that you can use portions of them until they use the discounted amount like the example I quoted above.

I give you a coupon for $100 and you use $40, would it not delete the remaining $60? Multiple use would allow them to use the discount x amount of times. At least the way I understand it

One of those weeks.... LoL

I would appreciate it, already crawling your site going "oh I want that" .. "OH I WANT THAT, and THAT, and THAT!" tongue.png

I have a new module to release as soon as CC6 is final and I am quite excited about it. I think it will become one of my more popular ones..  it's on final testing at the moment. Will be revealing more soon :)

If you want any extra info about any of my plugins, let me know.

GCs are not 'use it or lose it'.

A GC is purchased. The GC is a line item on the Cart contents during checkout. A record of the purchased GC is logged in the CubeCart_coupons database table. The distinguishing features of a GC database record versus a coupon database record are:

* empty contents in many of the columns that doesn't make sense to a GC as a GC applies to the Grand Total (that is, after other discounts, shipping and taxes).

* 'discount_price' holds the current value of the GC, and is updated when any of that balance is consumed.

* 'expires' may hold a date, but as mentioned earlier, it may be illegal to expire "real money".

* 'cart_order_id' holds a reference to the order that purchased the GC. If that order's status is not 2 or 3, the use of the GC is denied.

A GC is used. CubeCart will deduct as much from the current value of the GC as possible, the current value located in the 'discount_price' column in the CubeCart_coupons database table, and when the order is successful, will update the 'discount_price' column for that GC.

So, I can see where the automated bulk creation of GCs would be nice. To do that, however, one would need to create a "dummy" order that sold the GCs.

The many copies of the GC, each with a unique code number and each having a record in the CubeCart_coupons database table, each would be using the same cart_order_id, would all be 'distinct' and each maintaining their own balance.

Noodleman should be able to code that one in his sleep!