After Selecting an Item Cart is Empty In IE 9

mspatz

Greetings,

I am stumped by this problem. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. I have noticed that when using Internet Explorer Version 9 (may also be happening with other IE versions as well) when I select an item the program is supposed to go directly to the cart which should be populated with the selected item for checkout. What happens is the program does take me to the cart but the item is not there. I see the message that "Your Cart is Empty".

The program seems to be working flawlessly when I use Firefox. The selection of an item immediately brings me to the checkout page and my selected item is listed in my cart. This has really been bumming me out as I am currently losing around 50% of my purchasing customers because they can't checkout if using IE.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome mspatz! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Apart from not having any items in the cart, it seems CC5 is behaving as it should.

But just to make sure, because you have determined the fault probably lies with IE, and because IE is such a bother, we would ask that you acquire and use a utility that tracks the incoming and outgoing traffic of the browser. I understand that IE9+ has something called the F12 Developer Tools. Firefox has the Firebug add-on, as an example of these kinds of tools.

Watching the traffic being sent back to your store, you should be able to report whether the POST "add" variable is set, and any other POSTed variables.

In addition, it is important to know what, if anything, IE is doing to the cookies. Knowing the cookies can also be confirmed by: in admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, enable debugging and enter your IP address in the field (www.whatismyip.com).

Hi bsmither,

Thank you for your reply. I spent some time this morning using to above mentioned developer tools with both IE and Firefox. Although I consider myself competent in many areas of programming (my background is in PERL programming), I am pretty much a newbie with both of these tools. However, I was able to make some observations from the utilities. I also enabled the debug from within the store's admin so that I can see that information on both browsers as I navigate through the cart.

I want to also mention that I have the program set to go immediately from selecting a product in the .../index_.php?-a=category&cat=2 page where currently I have 4 products listed each displaying the item title, product code, description, quantity text box and the select button. When the browser is Firefox clicking any of the select buttons will take me immediately to the shopping cart to start the checkout process. I can see by the debugger at the bottom of this page before clicking that a cookie has been downloaded and accepted by the browser.

When .../index_.php?-a=category&cat=2 is downloaded in IE it visually appears the same, 4 products etc. Clicking on any of the product select buttons results in the cart appearing with the "Your Cart is Empty" message. I notice that down below in the debugger information that there is no cookie information listed at all. I assume that may be why the program is unable to continue with checkout. I see that the request body includes the "add info" but the response body is empty. If I select the console tab from this point I also see the message:

HTML1113: Document mode restart from Quirks to IE9 Standards index.php?_a=basket

I am hoping that perhaps you have seen this before and can point me in the proper direction to fix the problem. I am happy to provide any additional information you may require in order to debug this further.

" I notice that down below in the (F12 Developer) debugger information that there is no cookie information listed at all."

And that will be the cause. CubeCart really does require that cookies be working.

I have researched IE9's issue with cookies and the conversations usually revolve around a security setting in IE9.

You have tagged this conversation with "CubeCart v5", so can you let us know if you are running the latest version of CC5?

CubeCart Version 5.2.16

Are you saying that you believe it's a client based issue then? I have tried this with a handful of different machines using various versions of IE up to 9 all with the same result. Is there a chance that it could be something else in my setup?
Thanks again.

If the cookie is not getting sent back with the next page request, it is certainly a browser-oriented problem.

I believe you said that Firefox does send the cookie back, but it's IE9 that doesn't - even among several installations. In any of these installations, what happens if you relax the IE security settings to the point of being ridiculously stupid?

If you were to find a computer with Chrome installed (which has for itself some sort of developer tools), you will probably find that cookies are sent back as well.

In the F12 Tools, can you determine if the Expiry Time of the cookie received from your store is set for several hours in the future?

You have the latest version of CC5, so a Cubecart-caused problem with the browser not sending back the cookie should not be reason. (That is to say, CC5.1.x versions did not speak to IE as well as the latest versions do.)

Relaxing the settings for security in IE seemed to have no effect...

I can see a cookie all the way through using f12 tools with IE9. The expiry date and time are not several hours in the future. In fact they are 22 minutes in the past.

My last cookie time reported was 22:19:49 GMT. The local time here at that moment was 18:41 which means it was 22:41 GMT when the cookie was sent

Also is see that:

the path is /

Secure is No

HTTP only is Yes

In the cookies tab of f12 tools

Very interesting. I wonder what the cookie expiry looks like in Firefox?

Please verify a few things for me:
In admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, does the Timezone setting match where you are? On your computer at home, does the operating system's timezone match where you are?

If there is a value in UTC Offset, remove it.

In admin, PHP Info, scroll to the bottom of the tables. There you may find _SERVER["REQUEST_TIME"]. It should be a Unix Timestamp (number of seconds since Jan1, 1970). There are utilities on the web that will convert a Unix Timestamp to a readable format.

Please let me know what the timestamp value is.

The good news is that once I was able to get all the above mentioned variables in syc, things are working!

Time Zone My PC: US/Eastern

UTC is 0

Time zone for store was set at: UTC

I reset it to: US/Eastern

My current Epoch Tiime from CubeCart from PHP Settings: 1428969518

That time converts to: GMT: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:58:38 GMT

Actual Times right Now (give or take a few minutes) according to epoch converter

Human time (GMT): Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:07:52 GMT

Human time (your time zone): Monday, April 13, 2015 9:07:52 PM

Checking server time I realized it was about 10 minutes fast and 1 time zone behind. So I also re-set my server time. Pretty bad I know....

Thank you bsmither for your ability to zero in on the factual issues and make suggestions towards a resolution.

Although I didn't record the values of the cookies while looking at the F12 tools in Firefox, I'm pretty certain that they had to be off such as they were when viewed through the IE F12 tools. I can't explain why things worked with Firefox and not IE though.

This does show the importance of having server time, CubeCart time and local computer time all set correctly for the Website's potential visitor's circumstances.

Thanks again for your help.

This does show the importance of having server time, CubeCart time and local computer time all set correctly for the Website's potential visitor's circumstances.

​Having the CubeCart offset time set correctly based on the server time is important for a whole variety of reasons.  However the local computer time makes no difference at all otherwise only people in the same timezone would be able to use your store !

That raises the question for me as to whether or not I should now have a UTC offset number in the setup or not. Currently I have a zero as the UTC offset. Our server time zone and CubeCart Time zone are both set to US/Eastern time which is -4.00 UTC or GMT. Any thoughts or clarification on when to enter a value into the UTC field?