Import catalog issues

bobdonkey

Hi, I am trying to use the import catalog feature, without much success. I have a CSV file, seperated with semi colons. It looks perfectly fine in Excel, with everything in the right columns. But when importing, everything gets completely messed up and in the wrong fields.I think it is to do with the format of the file.

I did get the import to work using the file from the wholesaler (pixmania-pro), but I need to manipulate the data in Excel and just have the items I want etc. But even with that file, the images don't load when the field is an HTML link to the image hosted online.

So I have 2 issues:

1. CSV doesn't work properly, even when matching up the fields

2. Images don't work if they are HTML links

Any ideas please? The CSV and the fields I have selected are attached.

Thanks

pixpro_feed1.csv

pixproimport.PNG

One thing I notice as I look at the file is that on occasion, there are some high-order bytes that may or may not be legitimate UTF-8 code points. My programmer's text editor can't render them.

Line 7 of the file, for example, in the Description field, after the word Barebone.

Line 17, Description field, after the words compact box with a.

And others. These may be Microsoft's "smart quotes".

I also see that some descriptions are enclosed in quotes and others not. Although, maybe this doesn't make a difference, I'm not sure. It will make a difference if what is being quoted has the field delimiter. But you may want to experiment by making all lines conform.

With respect to the images, I am going to say that CubeCart really insists on serving the images from the same location as where your store is installed.

Thus, CubeCart will use just the filename part, and if the image already exists in the /images/source/ folder, all is good. Otherwise, some later steps will be needed.

Hi

The odd thing is that every single line comes out wrong with the same fields mapped to the wrong ones. But I expect that you are right, Excel is somehow messing up the encoding and cubecart doesn't like it.

RE the images, that is a shame that Cubecart cannot host the images somewhere else, it would save me bandwidth and the trouble of uploading 1000's of images. Though as a plus side, at least I know the images will be available if my site is.

I think I am going to end up writing my own plugins to handle the import, as I really need it automated as well, but I just want to get a manual import as a backup working first. I'll see if I can get Excel to save in proper UTF-8 encoding format. Just seems odd that CC can read it fine and I tell it to map the fields, and then it gets it completely wrong.

Thanks for the help.

RE the images, that is a shame that Cubecart cannot host the images somewhere else, it would save me bandwidth and the trouble of uploading 1000's of images. Though as a plus side, at least I know the images will be available if my site is.

There is already an enhancement request for this https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/356 which was carried over from an older V5 request