Can items be saved to users shopping cart for later

Atechstl

I am using Cubecart 6.0.2 using an older template and today had a visitor complain that their shopping cart isn't saved.  They added several products to their cart while logged in and checked back a few days later and cart was empty.  I tested with a fake user account and confirmed the cart doesn't save.  Surely cubecart has a feature to save the users cart items if they are logged in.  

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? 

Short answer: that's how it is supposed to work.

In CC5, admin, Store Settings, Features tab, there is: "Auto save user's cart".

In CC6, I suppose it was decided to make this feature a stock function.

But there was a conversation in these forums where a admin was reporting errors related to the CubeCart_saved_cart database table. He dropped the table and re-created it, and I believe there are no more errors reported in this regard.

The table CubeCart_saved_cart has been part of the CC5 database schema since it's most earliest of versions.

Still, I ask that you check to see if the database table is present and what sort of records it currently contains.

Please also check the setting in admin, Store Settings, Features tab, "Time (in seconds) before expiring pending orders". This is not the same as saving a logged-in customer's shopping basket. An "Pending Order" is where the customer has at least started the checkout process -- CubeCart has transferred the items out of the shopper's basket, checked for final prices, applied discounts, etc, etc, and is now waiting for the customer to pay for it.

If the Pending Order has been dropped because the expiry timeout was reached, this may explain your logged-in customer's experience.

You may wonder-- why is this setting even present?

In admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, there is: "Reduce stock levels" [Pending | Processing | Complete]

Having decremented stock levels on Pending orders could tie up inventory in what eventually turns out to be abandoned orders.